TSA finds military rocket-propelled grenade launcher in Florida man's luggage

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/05/tsa-finds-military-rocket-prop.html

It was non-functioning.

7 Likes

I ship all my rocket-propelled grenade launchers via FexEx.

14 Likes

as the bag passed through security equipment at Lehigh Valley International Airport in Allentown, about 60 miles north of Philadelphia.

While it serves it, ABE is not actually in Allentown.

2 Likes

headline should be capitalized “Florida Man’s”

9 Likes

I’m not sure why this is news. Replicas of guns have been prohibited for many years. My brother lost his G1 Megatron toy when he was 10 because he left it transformed in his carryon back in the 80s. I bet it would have made it through in robot mode.

8 Likes

you fool, you uttermadman, you don’t think The Terrorists are monitoring the information superhighway for devestating security flaws like this one?! Good god man, THINK

21 Likes

A friend of mine flew from Ohio to California for a visit. For some reason he wanted to bring some sort of antique bomb shell to show me. This thing was about a foot long. At security they pointed out it might still have a live charge in it. So, they confiscated it. Then, when he returned to Ohio, he was given it back.

Things were a bit different in 1988.

I’d also like to point out he now lives in Florida.

12 Likes

this was the clickiest clickbait headline i’ve ever seen here, burying the most important detail and everything below the header…

…and i fell for it, ugh.

11 Likes

I saw this movie…

4 Likes

No realistic or replica weapons of a military nature are allowed on airplanes, says TSA.

Wait, really? So no airsoft and no some paintball guns? You can check in REAL firearms and travel with them in checked luggage. I know a guy who is a security tester who throws in an AR-15 lower with his expensive, heavy gear, which should mean it travels unmolested that way with more secure locks than the TSA locks.

Why couldn’t you do the same with replicas?

1 Like

This may simply be a kind of due diligence in support of… perspective? A small, yet meaningful contribution to the never-ending exploits of… FLORIDA MAN, a footnote in some sub-sub-cultural category of American culture.

Or it could just be an unfortunate post.

2 Likes

floridabb

15 Likes

It’s okay, it’s fine, the Second Amendment talks about RPGs in the um… RPG clause. Right after the dum-dum clause.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, what? It’s a friggin grenade launcher. How the heck was he allowed on his flight?!?

It was a prop. Likely a reenactor or a historian.

That’s the reporter being lazy with his wording. You can check firearms so long as they are unloaded. You just can’t bring them in your carryon.

1 Like

FLA – RAH – DUH – MAN of course!

3 Likes

Just check your bags. It’s that easy.

Oh, it was carry on? Yeah, no, can’t do that. The article in the post said:

The man, from St. Augustine, was stopped by police and told officials he thought he could bring the non-functioning launcher onboard in a checked bag.

This looks like a TSA screwup then.