Americans lack basic digital security and privacy knowledge, survey finds

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/09/americans-lack-basic-digital-s.html

Most U.S. adults answer fewer than half questions correctly on digital know-how quiz, and many struggle with cybersecurity and privacy

3 Likes

Who is Jack Dorsey?
Lame question

What does the grey lock mean in your browser address bar?

3 Likes

If you are a programmer, devop, admin, or engineer you know this. We are surprised this stuff runs at all. Computers, websites, and systems that Users interact with are way too complicated. The corporations and hackers have one thing in common, they are always trying to rip off the user.

4 Likes

Jack Dorsey is the CEO of Twitter , not a security question, but possibly an attempt to create a proxy value for tech obsessed people.

2 Likes

Some of these questions seem a trifle…questionable.

I assume that I’m supposed to answer ‘yes’ to the ‘https://’ one; but the fact that a site is using TLS tells me only that things are being protected over the wire(possibly not even then if my browser isn’t being quite strict about site scripts sneaking form inputs out various creative back channels); not anything about what is being done on the backend.

The ‘true two-factor’ question seems downright mean: using the word ‘true’ suggests that you’ll be sneaking some trick untrue-second-factors into the mix; yet ‘phone number’ is the first example given despite the fact that SP 800-63B has some nasty things to say(“5.2.10 Restricted Authenticators”) about how those suck at being second factors.

And the Jack Dorsey question? I don’t even. (Incidentally, he’s the most vagrant-chic of the insufferable techbros; but that knowledge is abjectly useless unless political winds shift enough that we get to start picking them out of lineups).

I don’t doubt that the news is awful; both because I have a view of user competence somewhere between ‘jaundiced’ and ‘bitterly misanthropic’; and because they are up against adversaries with shockingly superior resources and effective impunity in most cases; but this seems like a pretty dodgy test.

2 Likes

The survey was about knowledge of the digital world in general, but Dorsey is definitely someone who security-conscious consumers should be aware of.

In addition, those who like liberal democracy might also be justifiably wary of Jack.

2 Likes

I should send this questionnaire to my bank’s executive team.

Why do I have stronger (2FA) security on my HomeDepot wish list and purchase history than I do on my primary bank account and mortgage provider?

Trick question, though, because very soon they will no longer be my primary bank account provider.

4 Likes

Nothing too surprising here. I’ve given up on my family; they flat refuse to use any sort of password manager, instead insisting upon using the same poorly chosen passwords across many different sites. Nothing I say makes any difference, so at this point I’m just waiting for when I have to say “I told you.”

1 Like

Sarcastic gasp!

2 Likes

File this under the “no fucking shit” hashtag.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.