Americans with diabetes are forming caravans to buy Canadian insulin at 90% off

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/09/life-or-death.html

3 Likes

36 Likes

It’s not “90% off”.

That’s a normal price without hyper-mark-up. It’s not a discount sale.

We shouldn’t think of the artificially-high prize as the “normal” one. Better to describe how much US drug companies are adding to the price, than to make it seem like Canadians are “discounting” something. They’re not.

45 Likes

This is what’s known as “letting the market decide.”

12 Likes

There’s no point saying - again - that the American health system is broken.

America is broken. And we know who broke it.

14 Likes

Thanos? 

6 Likes

There’s a long, chronological list. Reagan is near the top, Thanos is near the bottom, in much smaller print. :wink:

10 Likes

It’s time for Canada to build a wall.

17 Likes

How can this actually be a worry? If a person living in the U.S. goes to Canada to buy insulin, that same amount of insulin goes unsold in the U.S. The total supply remains the same. To resolve this issue, companies can ship more product to Canada and less to the U.S. The only effect is that it’s not being sold at a criminal price.

7 Likes

The advantages of monopsony or single payer system.
Latus price was 70 € and was lowered to 40€ Eli Lilly similar insulin is 30,90€

3 Likes

My great grandmother listened to Tommy Douglas speak. There was a group that invited me to invest 1000 dollars to bring medical supplies to Cuba. A woman I know brought cheap birth control to a country where the price was inflated. At a wedding in the US, three of the groom’s friends said they were afraid of Medicare and asked me what it was all about. AFRAID? Ideology strikes again.

5 Likes

Seems like good old selfish Americans again. Instead of fixing their broken ass system through voting they take the easy route of going to another country, looting their system and saying that their lives are more important than the ones that could be put in danger due to lack of supply.

5 Likes

they spent $13,000 US just to obtain health insurance — and then $14,000 US out of pocket

And paid taxes that helped subsidize the health care plans of those with employer-sponsored insurance.

3 Likes

You know, I am sure me from 10 years ago never thought I’d say this, but this is an example where we should be using pricing controls. Jesus Christ.

7 Likes

Odd. I thought a Canadian doctor’s prescription was needed in order to obtain insulin.

1 Like

Time for Canadians to build a wall to keep out invaders on their southern border!

3 Likes

Caravans of Americans, bringing disease and crime.

4 Likes

I’ve never understood how that worked. Canadian regulations around prescriptions tend to be stricter than in the US. Not sure how people from another country just come in and buy it like Aspirin.

1 Like

You’re right. The last universal healthcare referendum in the US lost by exactly one vote. And everyone within the borders of every country is exactly the same. Sweet take. Welcome to bOing bOing, comerade.

11 Likes

The world’s stock of insulin isn’t created in the US and shipped out from a central warehouse.

It’s not “one supply”, it’s two different counties. Insulin in Tennessee sold at eye-popping prices is not a replacement stock for a shortage in Manitoba. Who are you saying will pay the US companies for their stock? If it’s too expensive for Americans, it’s just as too expensive for the Canadian healthcare system.

Longer term, Canada will probably increase their domestic production, in political competition with other parts of the health budget, to subsidize US healthcare callousness.

4 Likes