America's gargantuan new corporate landlords evict the shit out of Americans

Certainly from the latter 19th century, because it’s a glass negative photograph.

3 Likes

From what I have read, I’d say it was a form of anarcho-primitivism, which in my mind fits with guano crazy.

3 Likes

You have my condolences. Is the husband at least worth it? The Research Triangle is technically a step closer to the Mason Dixon line, but the supply there is so high. I spent a hot summer in Atlanta years ago and couldn’t understand why the local union was right to work, made no sense from the worker’s POV.

2 Likes

NJ is very nice this time of year. And, by that, I mean it’s less expensive than NYC to live in.

3 Likes

I really hope they were from Bad Dragon.

1 Like

The supply is just so high everywhere, and most tech companies tend to hire a certain type. The workplace I have is awesome, it’s just the city. For all their claims of progression, there’s a lot of… Well, stuff like the article.

Unrelated, but there are a lot of Trump supporters here. A significant number are rabid. You’re not missing anything in Atlanta-- stay where it’s safe.

4 Likes

Oh, they tore down everything I built, there’s nothing I find interesting about that town these days. Too sprawly.

The Bloomberg article and this one focus on for-cause, or court ordered evictions of working class people, but the impact of mega-corporate landlords goes far beyond these specific and obviously deplorable actions.

Last year, 2 weeks before Christmas I received a 45 day (as mandated in my month-to-month lease) eviction notice. The complex I’d lived in had been bought out of receivership by an out of state (Houston, TX) management company that was branching into direct ownership. They wanted to mass renovate the (undeniably) crappy stock at this complex. However, they chose to do so in the most offensive, damaging way possible. Despite the fact that they were upgrading piecemeal, they gave evicted tenants no option to move into other similar units onsite, no deals to do so, and did not offer any assistance with moving. It was a 3 bdrm, 2.5 bath 2 story townhouse apt.

The cost to move on short notice in winter wound up at c. $6500. I suspect my cost were on the high side because I hired a mover, but even with a Ryder truck and friends, you’re out thousands. I upgraded to a SFR with a 2-car garage and a local, non-corporate landlord. I’m in great shape. However, even in that west hills complex many of the renters would have been strapped in the face of this. Screwing para-professionals in “middle class” complexes like that one is how the elite create the poor sons-of-guns who show up in this Bloomberg piece. A few hits like that one, and most families are unable to pay rent when a childcare crisis hits. Just like the guy in the article.

The readership here is very well educated, but I’ll bet you anything most aren’t far above being victims of these kinds of acts. And significantly damaged if they are.

12 Likes

This needs to be seen again. And bolded. And then blown up on the front page. I caught an article a year ago (about the same time you were being evicted!) that 75% of those surveyed couldn’t come up with a thousand dollars within a month if needed. You needed that six times over. Forced evictions are devastating for anyone for any reason, you have my utmost condolences and I’m relieved that things worked out for the better in the end.

7 Likes

I originally read the Bloomberg piece via a link on MSNBC. The Facebook comments underneath were quite self-serving, mainly on the side of “You knew what you signed up for, it’s not the landlord’s fault if you can’t make rent.” Well, if the landlord engages in practices like this, yes it is.

6 Likes

What side of town do you live on? Things aren’t so expensive OTP on the East side. The North/West sides OTP are insanely expensive, compared to the East/South. If you’re up in Alpharetta or Cobb, I’m not surprised if you’re shelling out the big bucks. And the fucking traffic! I mean, they just built a stadium at the worst place imaginable.

2 Likes

Some of my outlay was discretionary, but I do not think anyone could have made the move for less than $3K in the time frame demanded. I forgot to include the ‘first months rent’ deposit for the new rental. The old, local landlord at my old complex had asked for an atypically low security deposit, so I only had c. $300 coming back from them (a few weeks after vacating). I didn’t calculate my long term costs for lacking the time to buy rather than rent again either.

Most people here are in the same snack bracket as Bloomberg’s readership. It feel good to be angry while reading horror stories about people who are a step down in terms of their ability to cope. But, as this kind of shit is increasingly normalized… we educated, canny, careful professional types will start to flail as well.

This is part of what galls me about these kinds of articles. Again, and again, when I read them they seem carefully gauged to help the currently-solvent readership (and writers) ignore their precarious personal circumstances. Pitying some poorer ‘other’ is a great way to ignore one’s own vulnerability, and to remain free of any icky sense of solidarity with the sad schmucks who’re being written about.

5 Likes

The only time I’ve been actually evicted (as opposed to just not having a lease renewed) it was because we’d refused to pay rent for three of the weeks we were there.

We refused to pay the rent for those weeks because that was how long it took the landlord to bother doing anything about the foot-deep sewage overflow in the kitchen, bathroom and backyard.

2 Likes

Boy, sounds like you really miss that place. “You can’t evict me, I quit!”

It was the house described in this:

Laws requiring more notice before the landlord cancels a lease are much more effective than rent control. Instead of freezing rent indefinitely, which creates hoarding and landlord/tenant antagonism, just give people enough time to move to a cheaper place non-chaotically when they can no longer afford market rents. Make it graduated so that people who have stayed longer get longer to move. I can dream of a world where tenant protections don’t mean landlords constantly out to get them.

Only as long as we can keep borrowing money to pay for it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.