'Sovereign citizen' tenant decapitated landlord with sword over rent dispute, say Hartford, CT police

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/31/tenant-decapitated-landlord-wi.html

Yikes.

7 Likes

Holy fucksocks, thatā€™s bizarreā€¦

28 Likes

What is this reality anymore?

18 Likes

Cops: Not our job to stop your housemate from decapitating you with a sword, even if he gives you plenty of notice of his intentions.

Also Cops: Y nobody love and respect us? Our job so hard!

47 Likes

ā€œtenant decapitated landlord with swordā€

Why ever did the landlord have a sword?

10 Likes

There can be only one?

29 Likes

I am completely fascinated by the particular brand of idiocy the sovereign citizens profess. Theyā€™re like the nominally adult versions of kids who think hiding under the blanket makes them monster proof. Like if they shout ā€œnu-uh, you canā€™t touch me, Iā€™ve got a force field!ā€ loud enough the police and courts and everyone around will just grit their teeth and walk away. ā€œHeā€™s right, Your Honorā€¦this flag clearly doesnā€™t have the right fringe. Guess we have to let him go!ā€

36 Likes

He wasnā€™t decapitating, he was traveling.

6 Likes

23 Likes

Had a housemate in college who collected samurai swords and Neo-Geo games, but somehow could never pay his rent. When pressed for overdue funds, heā€™d turn red, stare into space, clench his fists around a sword, and shout, ā€œGRRRRRR!ā€

I soon got the f*ck out of there. True story.

23 Likes

Housing is a human right.

20 Likes

Sword ownership is not.

20 Likes

Indeed.

Iā€™m not saying you should decapitate land lords. But I do believe land lords are parasites.

13 Likes

52 Likes

Even the word ā€œlandlordā€ feels wrong in our current age. ā€œRentierā€ works quite well without invoking medieval peonage/serfdom terminology.

26 Likes

American style late-stage capitalism really just boils down to feudalism with extra steps.

The state ultimately acts a king, and hands out large amounts of money to corporate fiefdoms who control production and ultimately the fates of their workers due to low wages and high rent.

It seems appropriate to be referencing the medieval state of being for the vast majority of people. We work more and have longer hours and less leisure time than any filthy dirt-farmer peasant in Europe did back then. In some respects they were better off even. They often had the ability to survive independently of the lord or king whoā€™s land they were on, until tax time came.

22 Likes

46 posts were split to a new topic: Landlords, land ownership, and politics

Caveat: written with a different POV than our current suspect.

11 Likes

This video, and the people commenting like heā€™s some sort of Rosa Parks character:

Fishing without a license lawl

ETA: How he ended up there is even stranger:

7 Likes

For protection against tenants with swords, of course!

1 Like