'Sovereign citizen' tenant decapitated landlord with sword over rent dispute, say Hartford, CT police

SovCits are particularly prone to bizarre breaks like this. Their belief that no laws apply to them combined with an inability to accept new information is pathological

15 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot of vitriol here against someone that was renting a room in his house. Yes legally heā€™s a landlord but heā€™s likely just an individual trying to afford his mortgage payment, but some people here act like heā€™s a Koch raping and pillaging America.

If youā€™ve ever collected a share of rent from a roommate then surprise! youā€™re a landlord. Welcome to the blood sucking parasite class, apparently.

31 Likes

I canā€™t say I completely disapprove of decapitating landlords, but I could never condone any of that sovereign citizen bullshit.

2 Likes

In the main, I agree. But people do end up as landlords and arenā€™t in it just for the money. A friend of mine bought a house for her daughter, who was having health problems. The daughter got married and moved in with her husband. At the same time, other friends of hers - an old couple - were forced to move out of their rented house. So they are in her house now, and paying under the market rate, because they couldnā€™t afford the market rate.

16 Likes

This sounds like a retired guy with a roommate. I get the landlord hate, but maybe this isnā€™t your typical corporate/rentier class situation. Which is probably why the cops didnā€™t show up.

10 Likes

While that is true, being housed within the home of another person is not.

4 Likes

Certainly not all of them.
/s

Actually, our landlord is wonderful. We pay less than market rate because he wants good tenants. A few years ago after I lost my job he was extremely gracious and put up with us being very late for six months. I know heā€™s the exception, but itā€™s been a real blessing.

14 Likes

Right? The word ā€œslumlordā€ exists for a reason, that being that not everyone who rents their property is a monster. Some philosophies are very weird.

10 Likes

ā€¦your plight illustrates the biggest problem that we have in the housing markets of the US, affordable housing. I live in Naples, FL (Iā€™ll discuss all the other problems with Naples at some later date) - a town that has more millionaires per capita than any other place in the US - at least on paper. Most of them just buy vacation homes here and set Florida as their legal residence for tax purposes and then set about buying loads of other homes in the area as investment properties.

I know mechanics who work at the Jaguar dealership (we also have a Bentley dealership - seriously) that commute in from Miami every day because they cannot afford to live closer. People who are just starting out on their own? Good luck living here unless it is in one of the few, well hidden, trailer parks.

Our problem here is certainly not unique to Naples, or even Florida. It is much the same as in many places have, real estate speculation driving the price of a home up far beyond what the average person can afford, and disconnected property owners who would rather let a home sit empty and try to flip it rather than help build the community - because they arenā€™t even a part of the community to begin with.

Of course, these same property owners spend plenty of money to block affordable housing as they fear it will drive their property values down.

American capitalism isnā€™t feudalism, its Sociopathy.

12 Likes

Iā€™ve long been of the opinion that ā€œAny sufficiently advanced council of tribal elders is indistinguishable from a government.ā€

How/why would that not be the case with community collectives and suchlike?

4 Likes

Because everyone with a stake is required to participate. Instead of delegating representatives, everyone represents themselves.

It canā€™t work at say, the level of a nation state, but it works locally just fine.

3 Likes

Some days just donā€™t go so well.

Nothing about this surprises me.
Iā€™ve had roommates.

5 Likes

sadly, the right to bear arms is enumerated, while the right to housing is not.

2 Likes

So does this mean he doesnā€™t have to pay rent now?

I kid, I kid. Heā€™s probably going to be put up in a hotel funded by the taxpayers soon enough.

5 Likes

No.

7 Likes

I had a friend once who suffered from manic episodes. During these manic episodes he would believe all manner of conspiracy theories, religions, strange nutrition advice etc. When he was well his judgement was that of a normal sane person (despite voting Conservative).

Many of the people who make the news seem to be of sound mind but just irrational. I suspect though that some of the supportive online traffic consists of people with real mental illness.

5 Likes

That reminds me of something.

Dennis: I told you, weā€™re an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as sort of executive officer for the weekā€¦
King Arthur: Yesā€¦
Dennis: ā€¦but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meetingā€¦
King Arthur: Yes I seeā€¦
Dennis: ā€¦by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairsā€¦
King Arthur: Be quiet!
Dennis: ā€¦but by a two thirds majority in the case of moreā€¦
King Arthur: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!

7 Likes

https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/the-anarchist-faq-editorial-collective-an-anarchist-faq-10-17

Specifically, I.5 What could the social structure of anarchy look like?

Yes, itā€™s a long read, but Iā€™m not doing a good job of summarising things today.

6 Likes
  • On the hierarchy of human rights, Iā€™d put ā€œnot getting murderedā€ above ā€œguaranteed housingā€
  • I suspect there is a reasonable middle ground between ā€œpeople who canā€™t pay rent should be left to die on the streetā€ and ā€œlandlords have no legal recourse for non-rent-paying tenants who threaten to murder themā€
11 Likes