America's most hated company ruins E.T. for Thanksgiving

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/28/americas-most-hated-company.html

5 Likes

How they roped Henry into this:

10 Likes

To be fair, you can’t ruin something that already sucks.

13 Likes

That wasn’t believable at all. The internet connection appeared to be working the entire time.

30 Likes

I’d love to see both the MST3K and Honest Trailers treatment.

9 Likes

One of my friends use to say: Sometimes you run of out cocaine.

16 Likes

Ah, synergy. Though, barring ET’s possession of a warp drive or hyper drive, traveling at relativistic speeds, he’s likely been gone from Earth for a few hours, likely less than a day. In all probability, he came back not because he missed Elliott, but because he forgot his keys or something.

16 Likes

Note: E.T. died on the way back to his home planet.
(okay, that’s referencing another episode, but still)

8 Likes

[E.T. screams when seeing the kids ]
You’d think E.T. would have gotten used to human children after hanging out with Elliot and Gertie, but whatever.

[Elliot to E.T.: “My son, my family”]
Hey dude, you also have a daughter and wife. They aren’t worth introducing as individuals but just as your family?

[E.T. is impressed by some crappy VR gadget; an Oculus Rift or something]
Like you don’t have way better VR back home, E.T.?

[E.T. touches the son’s heart as he leaves and says “I’ll be right here!”]
Look, we all know Elliot loves his son and doesn’t give a shit about his daughter, but you too?

7 Likes

Right: he was roasted on a spit on Maaz in the Force Awakens.

10 Likes

the only thing I can say about comcast is “penis breath”

6 Likes

That was actually surprisingly sweet, low on Comcast branding, and had a pretty decent E.T. puppet rather than CG.

Wait, E.T. sucks now? I can’t keep up with the kids these days.

17 Likes

Cannot wait for Big Coconut’s resurrection of Wilson.

4 Likes

I was 10 when it came out, and I can assure you it always did.

7 Likes

Can they port the commercial to the Atari 2600 now to complete the suck?

8 Likes

I’d have been 19, but I can neither confirm nor deny E.T.'s suck factor as I’ve never seen the film.

3 Likes

I heard the original cut with the profanity laced board game play has been pulled from all but the theatrical cut, which isn’t for sale any more. Is that right?

1 Like

ET cost $10.5M to make and had close to $700M in worldwide revenue in its 1983 theatrical release. That is a lot of people seeing a movie that sucked. As a teenager, I took my younger cousins to see it at the time and we all enjoyed it, even though one exclaimed “That’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen!” when ET appeared on screen for the first time. I have kids of my own now and they liked it too.

8 Likes

One would think E.T. wouldn’t make the same mistake of being stranded on Earth twice.

8 Likes

I can’t disagree more, but okay. Sorry it sucked for you at age 10.

9 Likes