America's most hated company ruins E.T. for Thanksgiving

I agree. It was a Schpielberg movie, which means the dialog royally sucked, having no purpose whatsoever. And it demonized scientists, a great message for kids. They tried cute for the alien and just ended up ugly. I thought the erectile neck and glowing finger were kind of dumb. I mean who wants that kind of image for kids (though maybe it’s just me).

Here you go, Scamcast:

1 Like

Even worse than E.T. was the sequel, F.T.

(Its remake, Thor, was better since scientists were the good guys, not that bad guys.)

1 Like

cant handle to watch this…sounds too much like a neil-breen-flick

3 Likes

yes, and?

and those figures are just domestic, not global.

5 Likes

That’s… literally how the original movie ended.

I know, I saw the movie, was talking bout the comcast-ad.

1 Like

Almost as good as the Star Wars Holiday Special.

3 Likes

Guessing this was filmed before Henry Thomas was arrested for DUII?

In the '80s a rubber puppet and a few seconds of a flying saucer would get people in the door

FILM | ET flops around the world - BBC News

ET can go home because no-one will notice, as new figures show the new enhanced Steven Spielberg movie is not setting cinemas alight.

ET: The Extra Terrestrial has been re-released 20 years after it original became a massive worldwide hit, with takings of more than £500m.

However latest figures from Hollywood show ET took just £4.6m in 26 countries over the Easter weekend, reports Screen Daily.

1 Like
5 Likes

Hey, I got a lot of enjoyment out of watching Fashion Television!

2 Likes

In the extended cut, the bicycles repeatedly fail to take off, crash back to the ground shortly after they do, and then E.T. spends weeks waiting on tech support to get them running again.

4 Likes

Huh. I have to think about all the other movies that have done that.

I remember being upset that the EPA were the dumb-bad-guys in Ghostbusters. My primary school education had taught me that the EPA was a great thing.

2 Likes

I didn’t see it that way as a kid. The scientists were just faceless government men, like the anonymous feds in Close Encounters who were eager to study aliens but in a clumsy bureaucratic way. And the lead scientist is a sort of fake antagonist who turns out to be a friend to both the kids and the alien.

8 Likes

Well if you haven’t seen the original you got a blipvert version right here. Although I would have preferred it played at the usual speed so it would be over in less than a second. That was a long 41/2 minutes for no real payoff.

I’ve re-watched E.T. on a VCR – as nature intended – introducing a magical piece of my childhood to my kids. The film… did not age well, I’m sorry to report. Compared to Close Encounters, which still hooks me, any time it’s on. But E.T. is now squarely in the “sit through” camp vs. “re-watch.” An overlong, tone-deaf ad sounds like the perfect unintentional homage.

3 Likes

Canned tuna flashbacks!

1 Like

Actually, I am pretty suprised at how many people piled onto E.T.
You can not like it, but I am completely not down with being associated with people who not only don’t like it, but go out of their way to hate it. To me it’s indicative of 2019, generally, that most of what happens on the Internet just seems like hateful discourse. You can pretty it up if you want, but it’s hateful.

4 Likes

I wonder if I’ll live long enough to see CGI-Hitler (or related archival footage) used in a TV commercial.

ET did it in a particularly sinister way. The scientists were all wearing environmental suits that didn’t show their faces, and were filmed (IIRC) from a low angle, making them seem all the more malevolent.

As a former researcher for the government this makes it doubly bad! Demonizing bureaucrats? How dare they? :scream::slightly_smiling_face: