America's teachers are being trained in a harsh interrogation technique that produces false confessions

Don’t leave us hanging. Get a copy smuggled out and send it to the Guardian and Daily Mail.

4 Likes

Seems to be the logical direction that our country is headed.
How about waterboarding in the workplace?

1 Like

I believe children are our future resource.

2 Likes

So you’re saying Soylent Green is not just people, it’s children?

6 Likes

Well, that is over a period of almost 40 years, so really, it’s no big deal. I mean, @Mister44 has already explained to us that 30% over 30-odd years is irrelevant, so surely the same applies here?

[/snark, in case you were wondering …]

3 Likes

Children are more tender, from time immemorial whenever someone suggests a concerted effort at cannibalism in a society they suggest using the children.

3 Likes

Given their smaller size, their diminished capacity to resist, and their relative societal unimportance, eating children thus seems a modest proposal, no? Unlike cannibalizing adults, which is a lot of thankless work.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Well, many people like lamb, while mutton is flat-out fucking disgusting…

1 Like

The image of America’s schools as incubators for the Prison Industrial Complex is a chilling one.

5 Likes

What the ACTUAL FUCK?!

Oh man, you are a better person than I. I’m not a violent guy, but if I were in your shoes, I don’t think I would be able to not grab something hard and bash that fuckers skull in.

What a fucking human piece of garbage.

“They’re only adopted.”

Fucking sickening.

12 Likes

Yes, and for many communities, an all too familar one.

https://www.aclu.org/fact-sheet/what-school-prison-pipeline

3 Likes

“Zero tolerance” reminds me of some years ago when we had a community meets the police meeting organised by the new superintendent. Someone said that we ought to adopt “zero tolerance policing like they have in New York” to stop all these teenagers being a nuisance. To which the superintendent replied that if people wanted zero tolerance policing they could have it, he would have all the radar traps out in 30mph limit zones and prosecute everyone doing over 33mph (10% tolerance is written into the law) and would that make the person happy? After all rules must be consistently applied. Subject dropped.

18 Likes

Depressingly, the civil servants were right.
Let’s suppose a politician on the make, or the Daily Mail, read the report. They would start agitating about the waste of money. The unsuccessful programmes would be scrapped to save money.
But would the successful one have had any more funding? Almost certainly not. I can’t tell you why, but it would not have been popular with the right wing press. So the end result would be less funds for intervention, and therefore less chance of gradually expanding the programme in future years.
Evidence based policies do not appeal to politicians because most of the public, and their bearleaders in the media, don’t understand evidence (which is why it always has to be explained at such length to juries.)
Also…I believe the Home Secretary at the time may have had links to private prison operators.

2 Likes

Also, there’s a pretty big difference between suspension and expulsion. Lumping them together is like using one number for assaults plus murders.

1 Like

Of course. Consider ISIS, many of whose members were probably quite harmless till they were radicalised. And the German people, who went from being one of the most civilised nations on Earth to one where ordinary people could casually torture and kill unarmed prisoners. I can’t remember who said it but someone said something like “Gaol is brutal because it brutalises the gaolers.”

1 Like

I suspect the principal intervened in part because I had stood up and perhaps had seemed to appear threatening. I was just stunned…it felt like I was hearing a poorly written line for some who is to be perceived as a clueless ass. Wish I could say that was a unique and isolated incident but I encountered that attitude at other times too. The flip side outweighed the asshole greatly though because a lot of people saw the fun and joy of bringing goofy grins and laughter out of a kid someone had thrown away.

6 Likes

I’m glad it worked out. You’re a foster parent, right? You help a lot of kids get to be grown ups. That’s some damn fine work man. I don’t think I could do it. But I’m very thankful there are people who can, as an adopted person myself.

3 Likes

Sister Wilfreda took no (living) prisoners.

1 Like

9 Likes