America's Test Kitchen suggests cooking meat frozen

No, it isn’t. that’s my point.

Well. Thankfully for the rest of us, every professional chef and restaurant in the world agrees with me and not you. That way we get good tasting flavorful food when we go out to places like Le Bernadin, The French Laundry, Craft, and Blue Hill Farm.

But what do I know, right?

1 Like

The claim was that chicken doesn’t have flavor. That claim is wrong, unless you perhaps use the lowest kind of poultry quality I can imagine. Or your tastebuds are shot by over-seasoning.

I’m actually seriously disturbed by the idea of eating a dead animal if it absoluterly requires seasoning? What’s the point then - tofu would nearly work as well.

Next shocker: Rice and potatoes do have flavor on their own.

Any yes, all three can work very well in combination with additional flavors. Nobody contested that, IIRC.

funny. I’m fairly certain my exact words were “the meat itself is bland” which is not the same as “doesn’t have flavor”. White meat chicken is bland. Horribly bland. I would strongly suggest you speak to any professional chef what their least favorite protein is to work with and you would find white chicken meat would be number one on that list.

However, since you are such an expert on this in your own mind, why bother? The only perspective you are interested in is your own, regardless of the experience or knowledge being presented to you. I’d reiterate that salt (i.e. seasoning) is absolutely the primary number one first step and skill for any chef. Learning to properly season food when cooking is the first lesson in culinary school. But again, since you are such the learned scholar on these matters, we should all defer to your trusted intellect and experience. And since your tastes are so refined as to be above reproach and your food source so perfect and of the highest quality, it is not feasible that you could imagine the majority of peasants and peons of the world buying Purdue chicken in some ordinary supermarket.

Like I said…what would I know. Clearly you are an expert on all such things. Congratulations.

The exact words were “to add flavor as the meat itself is bland.” I inferred from this that you wanted to imply that it had no flavor at all.

Despite admitting that I misunderstood: I think your and my opinion on what is bland and what is flavorful vary wildly.

Personally, the only meat that I need salt for (which I like, by the way, especially when added as flakes at the last moment) is raw, ground pork. Chicken? No, there’s sufficiently enough reaction during roasting to make seasoning a luxury, nor a necessity.

As I stated though, while any professional chef would completely disagree with you; clearly you know best and all of us simpletons should bow to your superior knowledge of how to cook.

Seems like you just won’t take yes for an answer.

I will check that out! Thanks much :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.