America's worst homeowners association is, of course, in Florida

This is what I was thinking of. It’s a long read, but a good one.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Condos and co-ops and townhouse complexes require some kind of HOA because of common areas and shared infrastructure. You can have good ones or bad or crooked HOAs in those situations, but if you’re buying that kind of home it’s something you’re expecting. They’re also often regulated under a municipality’s condo act.

When people talk about sucky HOAs in these topics, they’re usually discussing ones governing neighbourhoods of single-family homes. In those cases the purpose becomes less about shared infrastructure (unless we’re talking about a gated community) and the now more pointless HOAs start attracting control-freak busybodies, shakedown artists, bigots veiled in “law and order” rhetoric, and crooks like the ones in this article.

6 Likes

I’ve noticed that strata councils and HOAs often attract busybodies, usually folks without enough personality to gain any higher office. Often they don’t get any real power, even in their tiny pond.

2 Likes

I agree. I hate HOA’s with a passion. I can’t believe people willingly sign up and pay to get told what to do. It’s almost like living with your parents all over again.

I couldn’t afford a house at the time. So I bought a condo and the HOA was a pain in the … A few residents and myself got together and got on the board to reduce the pettiness. They has was not handling the budget correctly. So I made sure that got straight. Last I checked HOA fees are still the same as when I left 8 years ago.

I own a house now in a non HOA neighborhood. It amazes me how people are sheep by saying that you won’t get as much money for your home if you are not in a HOA. Hmmm my house is worth double for what I paid for right now. smh

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.