America's worst homeowners association is, of course, in Florida

Originally published at: America's worst homeowners association is, of course, in Florida | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I was expecting this to be about The Villages.

Looks like they got caught because they got greedy.

That’s the reason why most stupid crooks get caught. I’m sure at least one of these dumb-dumbs started flaunting luxury purchases to the neighbours too.

23 Likes

America’s worst homeowners association is, of course, in Florida

Oh, trust me. All HOAs are hot garbage everywhere. Florida has no monopoly on this.

19 Likes

Given all the HOA stories I’ve heard, I’m not sure I’d classify massive embezzlement as “worst”. In fact, it sounds downright quaint.

26 Likes

Plus, jumping the budget like that was dumb. People notice 400% increases.

There are places that are probably worse, but they know the way of frog boiling.

17 Likes

I fairly recently read a long, wonderful, NSFW story involving an evil woman and her evil cop hubby who were tryinta start yet another horrid HOA:

Sorry that box is so ugly. Some tumblr themes pile up the names of the users who leave comments on posts. Because the OP wrote this in chunks, their theme helpfully tophat-rolleyes created a pile of their own name.

Edited: “Yet” not “yeat.” It’s not even correctly spelled for “yeet.”

10 Likes

And you just know who these people voted for in the past couple of presidential elections …

8 Likes

OMG those mugshots! Almost worth the 2mil.

3 Likes

The top middle woman is the one who carries around Pantone chips to prove that your house has faded out of color compliance. The guy is the one who comes and pounds on your door–ignoring the doorbell so he can be as loud as possible–and cusses you out for your car being parked 3 degrees off of true parallel in your driveway…and then won’t leave until you hear HIS theory on elections. And the woman on the bottom right leaves nasty notes and complains to the board if your garbage cans are left out longer than 10 minutes after the truck has gone through.

12 Likes

Some of these people have that face you tend to get when having your mugshot taken. It’s not a happy time usually. The woman on the bottom probably looks like that full time, except when fake- smiling her way through church.

4 Likes

I’m curious for to know the Management company, lawyers, accountant and independent audition company behind this Association

4 Likes
4 Likes

X-Files had a great episode about HOAs.

5 Likes

I like to think it was like a dark o henry story, where each board member was secretly taking a kickback from a couple of different vendors, unknown to the other board members, and when they went to add up the budget for the year there was a giant collective Clay Davis style “shiiiiiiiiiit” as they all realized what they’d done.

7 Likes

Sort of like the Russian military.

2 Likes

It’s that time of year… when every store in town plays the goodfellas soundtrack. Ugh.

1 Like

My favourite HWA story has got to the be the one where there was no HOA, just one couple defrauding the entire neighbourhood. I can’t remember where I saw it (probably here), but the story of their take down is so satisfying.

4 Likes

It’s in the Tumblr thread linked above at

3 Likes

400% increase in fees. Yeah, nice and slick. Real subtle, haha. Jeez.

2 Likes

That one reminded me of the one I’m thinking of. This was a couple who’d been running an HOA that didn’t exist for years. They pocketed all the money.

2 Likes