Arizona HOA threatens residents with fines for posting critical comments about its board

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/23/thinskinned-puny-martinets.html

2 Likes

This? THIS BULLSHIT??? This is why I REFUSE to buy a house in a sub-division that has an HOA. When I was looking for a house, an HOA was the Kiss Of Death for that listing, even if it was absolutely perfect otherwise.

Petty, power-hungry people telling me that I can’t paint my house a ‘nice’ shade of red, can’t put pink flamingos in a (tasteful) yard decoration*, can’t park on the street, have to have grass in the front yard and it must be kept no higher than .5000 inches tall, .5001 is subject to a $3861743251435.4123514.23 fine, etc.

FUCK THAT NOISE.

• Yes, pink flamingos can be done in a tasteful manner. FIGHT ME. :smiley:
41 Likes

Yay! Wait…

Looks like it’s time for some First Amendment solutions.

3 Likes

So, assume the HOA levies the fine, and the homeowner refuses to pay. Does the burden of proof rest on the HOA to show they have a right to fine the homeowner under the contract? Or is it up to the homeowner to prove their first amendment rights are being infringed upon.

Either way, this looks like an expensive court case for somebody.

13 Likes

Wait a gosh darn minute! I thought Zonie was a “f’ you and the horse you rode in on” kind’a place???

4 Likes

Well, this one really makes me feel better about my reflexive tendency to knock points off the provisional human worth assessments of people who use “impact” as a verb.

2 Likes

I would go one step further and just get a houseboat, and when you get sick of your neighbors just float somewhere else.

There is no end to stupid petty people telling people how to live their life and I wish all of them would just walk into a lake with their mouth open, and keep walking

2 Likes

No no, they are the victims now. They were besmirched on facebooks

1 Like

Wait, I thought that kind of shit only happened in German suburbs. There goes the one thing where I thought America was more progressive.

1 Like

Why are we NOT TALKING about the fact that someone at the HOA does not know how to spell PALETTES?

20 Likes

The HOA across the street from me has a “no trees in gardens” rule, for Christ’s sake. It’s 2020, I thought planting trees was a good thing. “It is,” they say, “just Not In My Backyard.”

6 Likes

who cares? this looks like absolutely hell on earth.
H: “honey, i’m bored with our approved color pallet, let’s move to a different subdivision.”
M: “wonderful idea honey, where should we go? silverhawke? esquire village? colonia grande casitas?”
H: “the manor at finley farms? colonial shores at wind drift? agritopia?”
TOGETHER: “AGRITOPIA!”

10 Likes

But who among us would have guessed that people living in a “water wonderland” development in the middle of the Sonoran Desert would be jerks? May all of Phoenix return to sand.

6 Likes

Probably up to the home owner to sue because the board will issue the fine, and if the homeowner doesn’t pay the board could (since they are power mad jerks) move to foreclose on the home depending on the language of the HOA - that kind of crap has happened and the HOA doesn’t have to prove anything in court to purport to issue fines. Then, I’d think, the home owner would have to file suit. Messy no matter what, but I’m just speculating since IANAL.

4 Likes

Sounds like an enclave full of assholes who deserve each other.

2 Likes

And drab af. Maybe they’re counting on falliage to zing things up. I guess those would be on the list of approved shrubs and flours.

In my non-HOA garden, several trees grew over the last three years. Some were moved but the big one stays.

7 Likes

The municipal government still ends up being an HOA sometimes.

2 Likes

Well now we’re increasingly controlled by the Russiapublican party

I’d posit they are intrinsically tasteful. Might I suggest ones fashioned from neon tubing? Extra classy that way. The neighbors will be quite green with envy.

7 Likes

Home Ownership Associations are proof that man may be born free, but everywhere he longs to be in chains.

10 Likes