Amid critical Brexit debate, Conservative MP defects to Liberal Democrats

You’re halfway to a good airport novel.

5 Likes

And one with out a face! Poor Rory!

I guess it depends what Johnson’s goal is. I think unless the plan is to simply resign Johnson kind of has to follow the “don’t make threats you won’t follow through with” rule and kick them out. But I think there are two scenarios here:

1. Johnson’s strategy is to force an election, then use the election period to not comply with the law and force the UK to crash out.
  2. There is no strategy and it’s all just reeling from one stupidity to the next.

In (1) expelling them advances the plan. In (2) there is no “better” thing to do.

That’s the difference between Theresa May and Boris Johnson. May felt that keeping your head down, getting to work, and carrying on with the normal business of government would somehow deliver results; that the rebels would follow tradition and established common sense in the end. It was a pretty stupid thing to think. Johnson’s usurped the party and is purging it of the disloyal. That’s why you don’t fight lawless authoritarians with polite asks.

Yeah, one thing I’m very unimpressed with is that the no-dealers are still living in fantasy land. They are passing a bill to for the PM to go to the EU to ask for another extension. They are not talking about what happens if the EU turns them down, which I think is very likely. If they ask for an extension with a clear plan for a second referendum with, say, a ranked ballot (no deal, withdrawal agreement, cancel article 50) then maybe the EU will grant an extension to conduct the agreement. But without some reason to think things will be resolved by the end of the extension, I think Macron might start threatening Frexit if they went forward with it.

The UK has no power in the negotiation at all. It’s like a child negotiating with a parent. Yeah, they want to meet your interests and needs, but they have all the power and won’t agree to anything they think is wrong. I believe there are only three choices, and parliament has to be realistic about that.

All I have is this Spot The Difference meme

(clue: Penrith and the Borders is one of the whitest constituencies in the UK)

4 Likes

It was just a joke about the Lib Dems’ deserved decimation after their idiotic deal with Cameron.

1 Like

MPs give bill to stop no-deal Brexit second reading by majority of 29

MPs have voted to give the bill to stop a no-deal Brexit on 31 October a second reading by 329 votes to 300 – a majority of 29.

That majority is two bigger than last night (when the SO24 motion was passed by 328 votes to 301).

The new rebel is Caroline Spelman.

de Pfeffel is losing control of his party.

7 Likes

I haven’t looked properly, but I’ve been told the FT and the Torygraph were being nice to Jeremy Corbyn today.

de Pfeffel has really fucked up badly.

6 Likes
6 Likes

ah, goddammit.

This stings my preconceptions right in the feels.

Proof positive some Conservatives actually have morals.

Salute for Phillip Lee.

3 Likes

It’s … variable

5 Likes

Boris Johnson’s speech at a police academy in Wakefield was the shitshow to end all shitshows. It made his dystopian performances at the dispatch box over the previous two days look like models of sanity and coherence. Even May’s P45, loss of voice and collapsing scenery at the Tory party conference weren’t as excruciating to watch as this. The Clown Prince completely out of his head. Acid? Heroin? Cocaine? Or a cocktail of all three? If the UK is to be a failed state, it has found its ideal leader.

6 Likes

Boris Johnson’s speech at a police academy in Wakefield was the shitshow to end all shitshows.
Trump: hold my diet coke.

Also: are we sure whether someone hid a sex worker in the lectern or not? Enquiring minds need to know.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.