Brexit: a timeline of the coming slow-motion car-crash

[Read the post]

3 Likes

Didn’t stop the Remain supporters doing pretty much only that.

2 Likes

@doctorow

Typo.

ETA To be clear, it’s in the paragraph about who takes over power, where I assume you mean “succession.”

4 Likes

Except that the “bastards who put you in that situation” are always going to skate away. And you’re not.

Setting fire to the house to get rid of the roaches might seem like a fine idea, until you realize that the roaches just move next door and you’re the one who’s left stuck in the burning rubble, pinned under a fallen roof beam.

21 Likes

Funny, the article you link to doesn’t seem to carry the same message.

Or don’t you recognize the reference?

ETA: And I am grumbling at both you and Stross for getting this song stuck in my head. It’s actually quite a pretty song, if you ignore the subtext.

5 Likes

On the bright side, this should fix London’s problem with housing affordabilty.

18 Likes

Don’t blame the people who voted to get out, the blame lies squarely on the Cameron government’s shoulders and the EU’s. It’s fitting that Cameron had to resign. If you look at the poll results in Britain, London voted to remain, the counties outside London voted to leave.

My feeling, from this side of the pond, is that non-Londoners felt/feel that London doesn’t represent them and doesn’t listen to them, London only listens to the bankers and investors and each other.

This feeling extended to Brussels and the EU: that it doesn’t represent them and doesn’t listen to them, and only listens to the technocrats and to non-elected (directly, that is) ‘representatives’.

1 Like

28% of the UK didn’t bother voting.

The final tally was only a 3.8% difference.

The lesson? VOTE, people. Your vote counts.

27 Likes

Something else to consider: there are an awful lot of “but I didn’t think we’d actually WIN” Leave voters coming out of the woodwork this morning.

Some of them were voting against Cameron.

Some of them were casting a general protest vote.

Some of them just didn’t believe the pound and the stock markets would tank so hard, so fast – or else got so swept up in the rhetoric they didn’t think about the economic impact.

With only a 4% spread, it’s awful, but it’s hardly a sweep.

15 Likes

The blame is entirely Cameron’s. He took a stupid gamble and got one extra year of being Prime Minister at the cost of destroying the country. He’ll go down in history as the worst Prime Minister ever. This is worse than Lord North losing the American colonies and worse than Anthony Eden’s Suez Crisis. The UK is going to cease to exist.

Why the fuck was such an important vote left down to a simple majority?

I understand the anger of people who feel let down and left behind by successive governments, but there isn’t a way to address concerns about immigration when they’re totally unfounded, and the depressed post-industrial areas aren’t going to magically get better now with Boris fucking Johnson running the show.

I see it didn’t take long for all the talk about the money ‘saved’ by leaving the EU going to the NHS to be walked back.

I’m so fucking angry right now.

17 Likes

My understanding is that to the elites, the end of the CITY as the European financial capital is a disaster of inconceivable severity. To many in the rest of Britain it’s a big “ho hum” because they either haven’t seen or at least haven’t been made aware of any benefit that they have gotten from “The City.” Of course the bankers aren’t numerous enough to get 49% of the vote, so there is also a considerable age disparity in the vote, with young people being more comfortable with immigration, and integration and unfamiliar and worried about a UK that is not part of the EU. The big question is how intent are Brussels and Berlin on punishing the UK for leaving? Early indications are that the Germans at any rate are very interested in making an example out of the UK.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why the idea of sovereign wealth funds losing 30% of their investment in London’s real estate is evidence that the Brexit is a catastrophe. I understand many of the other arguments, but if I were a middle class Londoner who couldn’t afford to live in my own city because of all the oligarchs buying up empty apartments for investments, I would consider this one data point a huge plus.

5 Likes

Yeah, asset prices are a zero sum game. Higher prices are good if you’re selling, bad if you’re buying.

And if some people are voting for Trump for similar reasons… we’re fucked here, too. It doesn’t need to be a sweep to have bad consequences, I suppose.

I wonder how many of those “protest” leave voters will come to regret their decision if they haven’t already.

12 Likes

As London won’t be an EU capital city any longer, it’ll lose access to Euro based trading and lose a huge amount of business to Frankfurt.

The EU can’t go soft on the UK and has no incentive to do so. They can’t risk Denmark, the Netherlands and others also leaving. So they’ll play hard ball and want the UK gone as soon as possible.

14 Likes

I’m glad Trump is being very vocal about his support of the Brexit and cheering the outcome. Please, Donald, tie yourself to everything that comes from this vote as a very visible symbol of your horrible leadership and economic sense.

21 Likes

Unless you also see your job (and/or clients) in the city leaving said city. Sure, the appartment prices will come down eventually, but without (a large portion of) your income, will that really be such a huge plus?

Don’t expect that everything will change except your own situation… It usually doesn’t.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s people blaming immigration but rather blaming the depressed post-industrial landscape on London. They might have a point. If only the money-folk in London benefited…“then screw 'em”.

Look at the election circus in the USA. Simple example: polls say people want single-payer medicare, the pols (except Sanders) say “people don’t want medicare” - the electoral system there is set up (no, really!) so as to make sure that ‘the people’ don’t get to make the decision.

The difference in Britain is that the people had a chance to short-circuit all the bullshit, yes, even if it will cost them. “So what,” I’m sure they’ll say. To roughly quote then Premier Danny Williams of Newfoundland & Labrador, pushing back on too low price/royalty offered by oil companies for their oil: “If leaving the oil where it is because the price is too low means we’ll be poor…well, we were poor before, we know how to handle being poor. But we’re not going to give the oil away.”

That sentiment might go a long way in explaining what went on with the Brexit.

6 Likes

Why would the euro-denominated derivatives trade relocate to an EU state? The UK never switched to the euro in the first place, did it?

And if London real estate prices crash, does that harm anybody other than the 1%? Cory, would you have left London if your rent was half of what it was?

There’s something about the border politics that has never aligned with my ideas of what the right and left in the US support.

I would think the left (and labor in general) would want the protection granted from closed borders and trade barriers and the right (and business in general) would want open borders. That seems to be roughly what the Brexit vote indicates UK sentiment to be. But in the US, Trump is the biggest advocate of closing our borders and isolating ourselves from the world while Clinton is relatively open and for free trade.

2 Likes

It might be surprising to you but the UK isn’t seen as the Big Evil in Germany unlike the other way round. German politicians have indicated that there is no interest in “punishing” the UK. France is the direction to look …

8 Likes