Amplifier and a separate AM/FM turner with each component nested vertically in a Lucite stand?

Speaking of nostalgic audio gear. I had an amplifier and a separate AM/FM turner with each component nested vertically in a Lucite stand back in the early 1980s. I don’t remember if the set came with speakers but when I paired them up with some Bose 301s the sound was phenomenal. I haven’t seen anything like it since then. Anyone have any idea what I’m trying to describe here. I’d like to get another one of these space saving combos but for the life of me I cannot remember the brand name?

I’m not sure if this will help but I purchased it in the Homestead AFB PX back in the late 70s/early 80s. Any help would be appreciated.

Extremely-distributed audio architecture makes me think only of McIntosh. They’re the only component stereo company I know of that separates components to that degree. I’m not sure if even they do separate tuners, but what would be a single amp from anyone else is three or more separate amp stages from them. Not sure if that helps.

1 Like

Douk Audio? Just a guess. The image is from ebay, offering just the stand, no components, for $60. Amazon also sell such a stand, but you’ve probably found that already.

1 Like

If you turned that image sideways and lost the tube amplifier it looked something like that,

Each component was less than a half an inch wide qand less than twelve inches high though so all transistorized, Imagine a really, really, small stereo receiver with the radio as a separate component.

The base was black and there would have been room for a small speakers on each side with the components in the middle so maybe molded plastic, not Lucite as I suspected…

Thanks for helping @teknocholer. @VeronicaConnor even with my severance pay from the military I couldn’t have afforded McIntosh back then.

I don’t know who can, honestly. It’s one of those products that I’ve always coveted, but I can’t imagine ever being able to spend that kind of money on something like that. I don’t know who buys their gear. Rich people, I guess. It’s way up that luxury curve to the point of “not better, just a lot more expensive”

1 Like

Most sites now refer to it as acrylic, which is the generic term for the same material.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.