An 8-year-old con artist ran a brilliant grift to get out of going to school over Zoom

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/03/11/an-8-year-old-con-artist-ran-a-brilliant-grift-to-get-out-of-going-to-school-over-zoom.html

15 Likes

My sister has essentially given up on Zoom class for her and is now having to fully homeschool her. “At least I get to help you around the house” my niece says innocently. What a sweetheart.

[…]

My sisters friend asks why she did that and she replies “Oh it wasn’t working well so I was trying to fix it.”

Only 8 years old. Impressive. These parents are in for a wilder ride than they bargained for.

41 Likes

The ingenuity of children never fails to amaze.

Quite a conundrum for software developers, too - how do you design an authentication method that protects against hackers successfully logging into an account, but also prevents reluctant authorized users from failing to log in?

11 Likes

This kid is going to grow up to be either a really great infosec professional, or the leader of the Republican Party.

28 Likes

Is this a different girl from two weeks ago?

11 Likes

For the sake of everyone, get the kid some coding courses/toys asap.

15 Likes

Nice idea, but it sounds like what she really wants is to NOT be sitting in front of a computer…?

37 Likes

Same kid. What a ride that must have been for her pulling it off.

5 Likes

Environmental sciences courses with a lot of outdoor projects instead?

10 Likes

When my kids were much much younger, we had a family computer with a passworded screensaver, so they couldn’t just help themselves when they wanted.

We also had a TV in the other room, but you couldn’t see the TV from the computer.

My (then 8yo) tied a string to the mouse, and pulled it all the way to the other room, so she could periodically tug on it so the screensaver wouldn’t activate, and she could watch a show on TV, and then go back to the Computer.

That’s when I knew I was in trouble.

38 Likes

Maybe. Or food science, since she was into helping out around the house? Something more tangible.
What I mostly took from the story (aside from a clever kid) was that the education system in this case likely wasn’t supported when they had to move to online, and it’s not keeping the kids engaged. It’s a bummer.

5 Likes

Sorry, obligs:
disaster-girl

23 Likes

If it weren’t for those pesky child labor laws, kids would be ideal SQA testers.

13 Likes

Back in the '90s (before she had any of her own), Wanda Sykes did a great stand-up routine where she described the way all the parents she knew would talk about children. She said they’d always look away during the second part of a statement that went something like this:

“Kids - they’re a lot of work…but they’re worth it.”
:laughing:

15 Likes

This already exists with hardware keys such as the YubiKey: https://fidoalliance.org/fido2/

This wouldn’t work if Zoom was accessed through a Learning Management System that automatically logs you into Zoom but doesn’t have the same lockout protocol weakness at its front door.

2 Likes

Do they even make orange jumpsuits in her size?

10 Likes

An hour on the phone with Zoom tech support and they couldn’t figure out that her account was simply password-time-locked?

9 Likes

Yeah, this is the part of the story I call BS on. Further there’s a special kind of zoom for teachers that tells them exactly what problems students who aren’t logging in are having. It’s pretty much surveillance software for schools.

2 Likes

yes

Sure, it’s locked now, but why was she kicked out and unable to get back in to begin with?
“Ma’am, is your daughter, by any chance, evil?”

8 Likes