An argument for getting rid of the physical "caps lock" key

I do this on every keyboard I get. Saves the functionality (available with a specific press in the center of where the key used to be) but completely eliminates the accidental allcaps problem. 2 seconds with a sharp screwdriver, problem solved.

1 Like

I am obliged to enter a whole bunch of crap in ALL CAPS here at my job,
why?
Because that’s the way it’s always been done??? I’ve resorted to having a case converter open on my desktop rather than finding myself having to shift in and out of all caps all day long.

1 Like

Yes, the plus and minus too. It is nice when typing text not to have to go to the numbers if I need stars and not have to go to to the shift top row, when doing solid numerics

4 Likes

Apparently there’s an emoji for that

So when they ask for more wow factor just dump a gazillion of those on whatever their desired work product is.

2 Likes

Weeell not all programmers use ALL CAPS so much. I do sometimes but try to avoid it. I am pro shift lock but it would be good if it was some where safer, like where scroll lock is.

1 Like

Ah, I spoke to casually, sorry. I’m pretty sure you can’t, I think you have to go through X or Wayland. What I meant was to remap my usual typo suspects (J, K, U) to nothing or something less intrusive. Just checked, I’ve actually done this for Q:

:nnoremap Q <Nop>
2 Likes

On X11, you can use “xmodmap” to remap any normal key to a normal key and any modifier key to any other modifier key. But it’s been a while since I’ve done it, so the exact syntax is left as an exercise for the reader.

2 Likes

Why? I’m a DBA and I never … Oh, right, automatically used it when typing DBA. You got me. I could not think of any reason to use caps lock in my job so was writing in.

1 Like

If you use it regularly, you don’t really think about using it. Like driving a manual transmission vehicle, it’s just something that your hands do at the right time.

3 Likes

xmodmap seems to have been superseded by setxkbmap, which constrains you to a number of pre-defined configuration recipes (unless you have the wizardry to write your own, which I don’t). I preferred xmodmap, tbh.

2 Likes

Hmm, I still have xmodmap here on my machine. Maybe that’s a distro specific choice to make it more ‘user friendly’? Possibly you can install a package that provides it?

2 Likes

Every DBA I know writes sql in all caps. Not sure why.

1 Like

My Caps Lock key is now a Compose key.

∀ℓℓ tɥə čɥɐɹäçtéɹß ï ć°ŭℓð ëʌẽɹ nęed.

Wincompose will even do emoji, if you are into that kind of thing.

6 Likes

Same here; for an artist, I have quite clumsy fingers when typing.

4 Likes

Early syntax highlighting before color displays, to easily differentiate KEYWORDS from table.columns. That’s why I do it, at least. SQL has been around for a while. And that probably dates back to punch cards and limited character sets. ALLCAPS have no descenders, so easy to render on a single line.

Our keyboards are an evolved artifact (see also: QWERTY layouts.)

2 Likes

I have a “symbol” ball for a Selectric and the little card showing the key mappings in my desk drawer. It has Greek letters, mathematical symbols (things like the top and bottom of an integral symbol etc.

2 Likes

I’d imagine you’d piss off those who use spreadsheets constantly.

Ah… who am I kidding. My keyboard doesn’t have a numeric keypad. It’s … fine… but I don’t use spreadsheets,

Heck I am not a programmer but having lived in an acronym full work world for too long anything over 3 characters in length is way easier to use caps lock than left shift/right shift/left shift/etc.

4 Likes

On the mac, the option key is the gateway to symbolic nirvana.

2 Likes

When I learned typing (on a typewrite), Caps Lock was Shift Lock and you had to press Shift and Shift Lock at the same time to get it to lock. Now I use AutoHotKey to do the same thing. Shift + Caps Lock turns on Caps Lock. Caps Lock on its own just turns it off. If it is not already on, pressing it has no effect.

;	## True Caps Lock

Capslock::										; press caps lock turns caps lock off 
		SetCapsLockState, Off 
Return
+Capslock::
		SetCapsLockState, On 					; press shift-caps lock to turn caps lock on 
Return
1 Like