An Arizona town's water is cut off due to drought, leaving folks scrambling to find another source

Originally published at: An Arizona town's water is cut off due to drought, leaving folks scrambling to find another source | Boing Boing

4 Likes

There should not be even one golf course in any desert anywhere. Rich fks need to either find a new hobby or move somewhere that already has a climate that can naturally support grass.

ETA: I meant to type “rich folks” above but actually this version works even better

46 Likes

Notice to the residents of Rio Verde Foothills…

27 Likes

If my water bill was $220 a month, I’d already be scrambling to conserve.

20 Likes

people knowingly purchased houses without access to running water!? in a desert?

as much as it must suck, unless im missing something, the situation seems like it was foreseeable

30 Likes

In the satellite view it looks like they’re still managing to keep their golf courses green. So, priorities, I guess…

23 Likes

Sounds like there is neither, not even on March 17.

16 Likes

I just finished reading about this on the Washington Post’s site.

4 Likes

If any of those golf courses have ponds, time for some midnight plumbing with a big straw!

12 Likes

Yes, and also:

15 Likes

People in the desert: you need to move out at some point. Most of you, at least.

Maybe you can play golf in the sand?

My aunt and uncle move to AZ to be closer to grand kids (maybe some other reasons). But my uncle is a big golfer so they live on/by a course. :confused:

5 Likes

If that doesn’t work, maybe they can harvest their own tears.

11 Likes

AKA The Dubai Method. I visited there 12 years ago and there were lines of tankers delivering water to the city and trucking the sewage out. They were carefully delineated though.

14 Likes

What?! Man… if Alan Shepherd was still alive… :wink:

10 Likes

So much for my hope that those stillsuits from Frank Herbert’s Dune would’ve been invented by now! :pleading_face:

Art Film GIF by Tech Noir

11 Likes

39 Likes

“people are flushing their toilets with rainwater and lugging laundry to friends’ homes. They are eating off paper plates, skipping showers”

So, now they are being forced to do what they were asked to do, but wouldn’t.

Maybe they should blame the problem on stolen elections?

13 Likes

Mine is about $150 for a year, but I live on the shores of Lake Ontario, not in the middle of a desert.

8 Likes

“Eating off paper plates” isn’t an especially sustainable solution to water shortages though. A modern dishwashing machine uses about 5 gallons per cycle, which is a small fraction of the amount of water it takes to manufacture a bunch of paper plates and plastic cutlery.

Widespread water shortages have less to do with personal water consumption through bathing, drinking and washing than big-ticket stuff like lawns and agriculture and manufacturing.

11 Likes

I often picture these McMansion desert suburbs 30 years from now, the houses abandoned or subdivided into slum apartments for migrant workers, surrounded by dead golf courses, the affluent original residents long decamped back to cities. Stories like this make me wonder if it will come to pass sooner.

15 Likes