An Arizona town's water is cut off due to drought, leaving folks scrambling to find another source

The obvious solution seems to be stack-ranking residents according to their golf performance and sending the weakest to the deathstills to preserve the greens.

12 Likes

I hope progress is on track to move agriculture away from this entirely:

13 Likes

an unincorporated community

Better headline:

People Living in A Community Built to Avoid Local City Taxes Is Surprised When City Prioritizes Taxpayers.

25 Likes

In rural areas, people proudly live where they are not beholden to municipal systems. They consider it a point of pride that their water and sewage is handled on-site and thus they pay fewer taxes as a result. What this means is that a lot of set-up and equipment is required that has to be maintained and often relies on some form of power for their use. And what THAT means is that the total monthly/annual cost comes out a lot higher than simply paying the municipal tax to have all that done at a meta level, with actual scientists checking the water safety every day, etc.

What these people in the desert did is an amalgam of the worst of both systems: they moved somewhere that doesn’t have municipal services but also did not (could not?) put in their own individual systems to compensate.

So while rural Midwesterners are paying more out-of-pocket to be able to say they don’t pay municipal taxes, at least they (we) do have functioning water and sewage systems as long as the systems are maintained properly.

To do that in a desert, however, the wells would have to be impossibly deep to access aquifers, and I don’t know that a septic field in sand would actually be safe, so it’s quite possible they simply cannot be the rugged individualists they like to think they are.

18 Likes

We were typing at the same time, but yes, I totally agree that the We Hate Taxes Because They’re ‘Bad’ crowd is very much the problem here.

Edited to fix a typo

12 Likes

And, of course, they want free handouts.

11 Likes

Technology can’t help with the fresh water but it can help with the septic part.

I saw this a couple years ago, home sewage treatment. Seems silly for us regular folks but it would be just right for stupid rich people.

1 Like

Coastal communities can be rainfall deserts too. We have skipped “real property deals” in coastal and inland areas because no water, or it would have cost US$1000 per month. Yikes.

5 Likes

Harvest their own tears? What, reactionaries cry?

6 Likes

The water levels in more than 2,000 wells have dropped more than 100 feet since they were first drilled.

To give you some idea, wells in my area of Indiana have a tendency to be around 40-60 feet deep. A 100-foot drop in the water table is incomprehensible. How deep are those wells, and how fast are they pumping water out?

Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

The article says they’re digging 1,000-foot wells. I can’t even begin to fathom digging that deeply for water.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.