An easy way to get 2GB of free Google Drive storage

[Read the post]

I do this every year, the free 2GBs is part of my corner the market on webspace plan…

It’s slow, but steady.

Why should I give Google my phone number?

To get 2GB of free Google Drive storage?

To be used as part of 2-factor authentication because you rightfully don’t trust 1-factor authentication which allows attackers to totally pwn you once they have access to your email account?

But, if you have no need for storage or security – no reason at all.

UPDATED to strike out “free”

No, it costs a phone number. Nothing you have to surrender personal information for is ‘free’.

Fair enough; that’s an entirely valid reason.

Maybe they want to date you. That didn’t even occur to you? Boy are you clueless about romance.

I wouldn’t say it costs you anything, since they aren’t using the number for their own gains, as far as I can tell. I’ve been using two factor authentication from them for years, and haven’t noticed Google, or anyone else calling me at a higher rate than before. Also, I have an Android phone, so they have my number already.

The only way they could implement, and goad users into using, stronger security without a phone, is some sort of fob… Which wouldn’t be as useful, since you couldn’t get SMS notifications and recovery. Email wouldn’t work, as its tied to the potentially comprised account.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.