An introverted year of exercise with my DIY-Peloton cycle

I do Zwift. The interaction is great. But I like to bike outside most :slight_smile: 413 hours last year on a bike.

5 Likes

I bought a ‘basic’ Kurt Kinetic and started watching boxsets - much more fun.

One of my coworkers uses a stationary trainer with his road bike, and Zwift, and LOVES IT! So check it out I’d say! I used to have one of the trainers that just provides resistance against your rear wheel, keep in mind it will grind the tire down a little more than actual road biking.

1 Like

That’s sort of the idea — it’s a virtual peloton, given the nature of the streaming spin classes. You also see the metrics of other riders, in fact for the lice classes, the trainers will call people out when they see they’re making a push, or are coming up on a ride milestone or something. I’d say, even with the on-demand/non-real-time classes, it does feel like much more of a social experience than a non-connected stationary bike.

Hard riders use rollers. Or actually, hard riders ride outside in 20 degree weather. I am not a hard rider, and go to the Y.

I need to motivate myself to start spin training in winter. My folks have a nice recumbent exercise bike, but sitting still does nothing for me. Maybe “Pelotonizing” it would help. If nothing else, it would help me with my speed on early-season rides.

The Wahoo sensors are nice; I have one of their cadence sensors (attached to one of my cycling shoes), and use it on my trike with Strava on my summer rides. I have a pretty good feel for cadence, though, and know what 90 RPM (a good cadence for recumbent riders) feels like; when I look at my ride afterward, I’m always very close to a 90 RPM average cadence. Yes, I use the gears a lot. The trike has a crazy 3x3x7 drivetrain, so I can just about climb walls with it, albeit slowly.

I ought to pick up the heart rate sensor as well, though I’d have to shell out money to use it with Strava.

Direct drive models are starting to get comeptitive price-wise. Not sure if the extra step of taking the rear wheel off would lead to not using it, there’s always that risk haha.

1 Like

So when did they stop calling it indoor cycling, and begin calling it “spinning”?

1 Like

Quite a while, first time i heard of spinning i was still a HS senior in Venezuela sooo at the very least 2001.

Edit: Here’s what i found :slight_smile: the quick answer is mid to late 80’s it was “invented” but early 90’s was when the workout program as we know it was launched

http://www.rydeoncycling.com/the-history-of-spinning-and-indoor-cycling/

Fortunately, indoor cycling started to become a true art and science when the now-famous Johnny Goldberg (“Johnny G”) invented Spinning® in the mid-1980’s. Goldberg, who was an endurance bicycle racer (among other accomplishments), was hit by a car while training for a race at night. There had to be a better way – and indeed there was. Not only that, but Goldberg didn’t stop with radically improving the indoor bicycle; in addition, he spent ten years developing Spinning as an entire workout program. In 1992, Goldberg and his partner John Baudhuin began manufacturing the first Spinner® bikes, and the first Spinning program was officially offered at Crunch Gyms in New York in 1993.

Ah, so just some BS marketing term after all. That figures. Pity that BB falls for it (where’s Cory when you need him?). Thanks for the info.

1 Like

I do agree that it’s a marketing term, stationary bikes did exist for a long time before “spinning” came around. It’s basically akin to trendy programs like Zumba and the like. I am not knowledgeable enough to say if there was ever a workout program designed around stationary bikes before spinning though. I’ve taken a few classes before and found it to be really enjoyable and fun.

1 Like

I have to admit a suspicion that if you don’t regard exercise as an “introverted” activity, you’re not really serious about exercise.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.