An oral history of the 2009 Folgers Incest Ad

Paradoxically, places that export really good coffee often drink really awful coffee. All the good stuff is kept for export, and the locals make do with imported instant coffee.

11 Likes

Speak for yourself, I grew up in Venezuela which grows coffee as well and I recall the coffee being quite excellent.

8 Likes

It’s hard to judge when you’ve been primed (hey, look at this Folgers ad with implied incest)… I don’t know if I’d just view it as cloying if I hadn’t read the headline first.

9 Likes

Can’t accuse Mark of burying the lede. The source says more about this “phenomenon” than the ad or alleged oral history.

1 Like

Why, is the internet mad at her for something?

2 Likes

The history of. “weasel dropping” coffee from Vietnam ties into this kind of top down ban. Locals liked coffee, but the French colonial government and royal family banned workers from picking any of the berries for their own consumption, so they’d collect the remnant seeds from the droppings of the weasels who would eat the coffee berries. Turns out they only selected the ripest ones, so the peasant coffee was much tastier than what the rolling class got… Sooooooo, the upper class quickly too control of that and started exporting it.

6 Likes

… OR MAYBE it’s just a corny commercial. Everything is “creepy” now but no it’s not. People just analyze everything to fit their own snark because nothing can just BE.

3 Likes

/keeps reading about this “incest” commercial
“It can’t be that bad. People are just having fun.”
/sees commercial
“Holy shit.”

6 Likes

Are you sure you don’t mean Indonesia and the kopi luwak coffee? Or did a similar thing happen in Vietnam that I’m not aware of. It’s possible the same colonizing crap happened in separate places the same way.

5 Likes

I showed up expecting some oral and all I got was some really lousy coffee… :blush:

6 Likes

Nope, two different countries, same shitty system.

5 Likes

Looks like an inkblot test to me. People who grew up in a family with some degree of trust and wholesome affection, will most likely see perfectly innocent sibling behavior. Those who had to leave their family in order to finally get some loving from a sexual partner, figure they’re totally doing it like Lannisters.

13 Likes

Really? 29 posts in, and nobody’s posted the full ad?

19 Likes

I seem to remember watching a documentary a decade or so ago about how the West in general, and the US in particular, uses economic pressure to prevent locals from processing raw materials, so that Western corporations can buy cheap raw materials and sell expensive processed goods. I guess that Venezuela might be outside of that particular power structure.

2 Likes

he never throws up at home either

12 Likes

It’s the way they look at each other. that heavy lidded quiet half smile.

3 Likes

I’m dead. That is so over the top hilarious.

2 Likes

I got a chuckle out of viewing this old ad through the silly lens of “definitely incest”, but yeah. I’m honestly glad that my brain isn’t wired to automatically see any kind and tender act of gift-giving and smiling at other human beings as a prelude to sex.

10 Likes

I like your comment.

tenor (1)

In fact, I like you… Brother.
Mwahaha

J/k

But freals, I do. Like you. But, like, in a like way not a liiiiiike way.

3 Likes

can’t process. icky filter clogged.