Analysis of Michael Brown shooting witnesses: 16 out of 18 say hands up when shot

Well then, maybe you would like to point us to a better example?

Would John Crawford suit your purposes? Oh, too late, those cops have already been let off the hook by their own grand jury.

How about Tamir Rice? How long do you think it will be before every sin in his young life it trotted out for public appraisal?

More specifically, what would be a good enough example?

Does it need to be out and out murder for the example to suffice?

If not Michael Brown, who? If not now, when?

5 Likes

By the same token:

Emmet Till is a “bad example to be held up as evidence of violence against blacks by whites” because he may have publicly flirted with a white woman before being beaten to death.

Rodney King is a “bad example of police violence against blacks by whites” because he is believed to have been driving under the influence at the time he was viciously clubbed by police.

Oscar Grant is a “bad example of police violence against blacks by whites” because he may have been involved in a fight and possibly even resisted arrest.

Trayvon Martin is a “bad example of violence against blacks by whites” because he’d had some trouble at school and had been suspended for carrying a marijuana pipe.

In fact there are thousands of well-documented “bad examples” of black people who faced deadly, disproportionate violence for relatively minor infractions, real or imagined. That doesn’t mean we should sweep all those lives under the rug just because they didn’t meet some arbitrary and nebulous standard of good citizenship.

12 Likes

By no means does should this be instant execution, but stealing a carton of cigarillos and shoving an aged man over a counter and to the ground, and swinging at him, is not petty theft. It’s assault and battery during the commission of a robbery. That’s a felony. Petty theft is taking the baseball cards and walking out the door.

I do think Darren Wilson should be put on trial for something so that we could get further information clarified and explained. But I don’t think diminishing the violent robbery that took place beforehand is a good idea either.

Edit:

Also, the mob targeting this man’s shop because they feel he’s “responsible” for the police coming and thus Brown’s death, and ransacking and looting the place and attempting to set it on fire, while assaulting the guy AGAIN is not “protesting.” It’s also assault, battery, robbery, and rioting.

I don’t think that’s by the same token. I actually had something along the lines of “Michael Brown is no Emmett Till” in one of my previous posts, but deleted it before posting because the post was becoming rambling.

The felony that Michael Brown committed before the shooting isn’t the entire reason why he’s a bad example. There’s also the physical evidence that verifies Darren Wilson’s account. For example, they didn’t find Emmett Till’s DNA on a police officer’s gun.

Please note that Wilson had NO IDEA Brown may have been involved in any sort of theft or altercation at that convenience store. What happened at the convenience store prior to Wilson confronting and then shooting and killing brown is IRRELEVANT because Wilson had no idea about it and it had nothing to do with why he confronted Brown. So can people please stop fucking talking about it? It’s irrelevant and the only reason it is brought up is to further discredit Brown and make it seem as if he somehow deserved death in a totally unrelated incident later in the day.

6 Likes

Actually, that’s a myth that the grand jury testimony of the dispatcher and Wilson has countered. He was responding to the theft and assault at the store according to multiple witnesses and the dispatcher , as well as the logbook. I don’t know why the press reported otherwise, but the logbook clearly states (as well as radio records) that he was responding to the robbery and was given a description of the two suspects.

Gosh, EDIT again. To be clear, he was responding to the description. He heardthe call out of the description, and radioed in that he had suspects in that. HE knew about the robbery and knew who he was looking for because he heard it over the radio. He was not assigned to respond, but was on patrol.

1 Like

Rodney King is a better example.

The John Crawford and Tamir Rice situations are extremely disturbing. I’m not exactly sure how to best place them into greater context with the Michael Brown incident, but I’m certainly open to your analysis. I think perhaps they’re not generating as much outrage as the Michael Brown incident because they were holding toy guns that looked like real guns.

One of the nuances in the Tamir Rice situation was that he had an airsoft gun with the orange safety tip removed. And although the initial 911 call that mentioned him specifically stated that the gun was “probably fake”, this critical detail was not given to the officers. I’ll be interested to see the opinions of the grand jury in that case.

And still should not warrant an execution…

1 Like

I know 911 operators , my mom was one for a good long while. If the witnesses to something are not certain, the 911 operators are trained to generally not pass the information on. They don’t want officers going into situations where someone may have a weapon with doubts. If the person KNOWS it was a toy, they’d pass that on… but nobody seemed to know about the nature of Tamir’s gun, and multiple people did call 911 on it. Some people said outright that it was a gun, capital G U N.

100% agreed.

1 Like

And that is what happened to him. The incident at the store is irrelevant.

I respectfully disagree that it is irrelevant. But , would definitely have preferred a trial to answer these questions.

That is what we are not getting - in part because of questions about the respectability of Brown, because it was even a question. No matter what you think of Wilson, Brown, or the whole situation, this should piss you off, because it’s a miscarriage of justice. Someone who did not deserve to die, died, murdered, because of someone else, someone who is paid to “protect and serve”, and because of that, he will not be put on trial so Brown’s family, the community, and even Wilson himself can get the answer to these questions.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks. I wonder what the police officer training is for a situation like this. If it looks like a gun, treat it like a gun?

As much as people like to pretend cops are trained for everything, they’re still human. If they’re getting 911 calls about a “kid” “man” “teenager” pointing a “gun”, “gun maybe a toy”, “gun”, “gun” at people at random, pulling it out from and putting it back into his pants, and looking upset/mean… they’re going to treat it as though they’re going into an active gunman presenting a threat situation.

If they tell the person to put their hands up, and out comes something completely indistinguishable from a gun, they’ll react like any human beings would.

The thing is, that people don’t get… I have guns. I have an airsoft weapon based off my handgun (they’re cheaper to shoot target with.) This is made to be almost an identical item. The weight is the same. The look is the same. The safety, slide, magazine release, and methods of disassembly are the same. The only real difference is, in the airsoft version, the mechanism is compressed air based, and in the hand gun, the mechanism is firing pin based. Oh, and the orange cap. If I took the orange cap off the gun, and set them side by side, they are literally indistinguishable from a foot away. Same markings, same manufacturer, same trigger, same grip, same sights, same grip safety, same trigger safety.

We’re not talking about a space ray versus a Springfield Arms XDM here. We’re talking two guns made to look exactly the same, one firing 9mm bullets and the other firing pellets via compressed air.

I think the response has to be to treat it as if it’s real.

I just had a look at Airsoft on Wikipedia. I see your point about being indistinguishable from a foot away.

I wonder if it’s practical to require that toy replicas be more permanently marked as such. I had a cheap plastic squirt gun when I was a kid that was made to look like a fully automatic rifle. It was battery-powered, and you could actually just hold the trigger down and fire away repeatedly. It had a 1-2" orange plastic tip on the end of the barrel. I didn’t remove the tip, but I’m sure it could’ve easily been removed. It may not have fooled anyone from a foot away, but it could’ve definitely caused confusion from 10 or 20 feet away.

Ehh, it’s a little ambiguous for me… there’s something of a timeline from the radio records here:

By that timeline, when the robbery report and description was given, Wilson was responding to a call about a 2 year old with breathing problems (he reported he was done with the call at noon, the robbery report came at 11:53 and the description came “4 minutes later”). I assume he didn’t turn off his radio, so he probably heard it, but it’s also probably safe to say that he may not have had his full attention on it. After that, I haven’t seen anything (outside of Wilson’s testimony) that definitively suggests he knew these were the robbery suspects. He had his encounter when he says “get on the sidewalk” (or “get the F on the sidewalk” depending on who you believe), then, only seconds later, he pulls up on them and the confrontation begins.

Presumably when he said “get on the sidewalk” he didn’t realize they were suspects. He may have put it together in the seconds where they left him and when he slammed into reverse, or he might not have, but (and correct me if I’m wrong) there’s no indication that he made the knowledge clear over the radio (he did at once, presumably before the encounter, talk to police and ask if they needed help, and, at some point, he did ask for more cops, but it’s not clear to me when that is with respect to the confrontation… it could have been in the seconds that he was backing up, it also could have been in the time after they had the tussle in the car and Brown was running away… none of the sources I could find say that he said WHY he requested more cops).

Though this is all academic because his participation in a crime doesn’t justify his death. Honestly, I have a lot of doubts about the nature of the fight in the car, too… it seems like an outright crazy thing to do to just reach for a cop’s gun, but, I could see them getting into a tug of war, and, if maybe the cop brought his gun out, that he’d try to push it away. And really, to me, everything supports Brown’s associate’s story there: they got into a physical fight that was mostly a tug of war (Wilson said Brown punched him several times in the head full force, but had very minor bruising at most… Brown’s a huge guy, and to me those limited injuries make much more sense if they it was mostly a tug of war without any serious punches thrown)… and, assuming Wilson knew these were robbery suspects and that’s why he came back on them… it just doesn’t make sense that he’d reverse suddenly, stop RIGHT next to them, and start getting physical (or allowing Brown to get physical), rather than coming at them at a distance with weapon drawn or just following them and waiting for backup. At the very least, if that’s what happened, it strikes me as horrible police work. Two suspects, one cop, you want to come at it from a place of control, don’t you? Getting so close makes no sense.

But what does make some amount of sense to me is if Brown said something and Wilson felt disrespected and tried to ‘teach him a lesson’ in an authoritarian way… grabbing him by the shirt collar (as Johnson said) and saying something like “what did you say to me?” And he probably wasn’t intending on Brown fighting back (which he may not have done if he hadn’t just committed a crime), or intending on shooting him, but it spiraled out of control fast.

1 Like

Well, here’s a recent story about police responding to a guy with a real gun, who really pointed it at police and innocent bystanders (including children) alike. Did they empty their service weapons into him on sight? No. They tried negotiating with him for about 15 minutes, repeatedly asking him to put the gun down before reluctantly firing a single shot and then rushing to get him to the hospital in time to save his life.

Guess what color the man’s skin wasn’t?

10 Likes

Those things were all the rage when I was at University, but they didn’t even have orange caps on the end of the barrel at that time. A group from my year were ambushed by armed police while messing around in a public park “shooting” at each other. But fortunately this was in the UK and their Tactical Firearm Squads are less trigger happy than US beat cops appear to be. So no-one died and they just got a telling off …

3 Likes

You’re lucky it wasn’t surrounding the time of London Tube Bombings. Code Red protocol said to put multiple shots into the head of a suspect. That’s what they did to Jean Charles De Menzes. Eight shots to the head as a “safety protocol.”