Ancient animal revived after 46,000 years in ice could help prepare us for the climate apocalypse

Originally published at: Ancient animal revived after 46,000 years in ice could help prepare us for the climate apocalypse | Boing Boing

7 Likes

“What could possibly go wrong?”

13 Likes

It is starting to feel like the Cabin in the Woods moment, where all the monsters are released into the world.

11 Likes

7 Likes

10 Likes

I mean it’s really cool, but I’m having a hard time seeing how this will help humans prepare for the climate apocalypse, unless it’s to ensure that there is still a microbiome to rebuild from should any humans survive. There is a reason that microscopic organisms are good at cryptobiosis, it’s because the physics and chemistry can work at that scale. It’s a much different story for anything our size, and by the time we understand these evolutionary processes at a molecular level, it will be too late to help us survive the climate apocalypse.

7 Likes

Wow… it’s an “undescribed species” too. I wonder if there will be new populations of organisms that will emerge in the world because of climate change now as more ice melts.

12 Likes

“Do you accept Frosty the Snowman as your personal saviour?”

6 Likes
8 Likes

Or maybe “help us avoid the climate apocalypse by killing us all.” Epic days we live in.

5 Likes

Aw, man. I was really hoping for a merman.

3 Likes

… got us to click on the link, that’s what matters :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

That’s basically Frøken Smillas fornemmelse for sne waiting to happen.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.