Perfectly preserved cave lion may be coming back after 50,000-year extinction nap

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/13/perfectly-preserved-cave-lion.html

2 Likes

“It’s still hungry. Hurry up with that baby mammoth clone already!”

13 Likes

I’m a fan of Scott Sigler, love Ancestor… so this leaves me feeling uneasy :flushed:

5 Likes

Weren’t cave lions … really huge? It seems like a bad idea to re-introduce an extra big predator when we’re already destroying species left and right.

8 Likes

Russian scientists + Siberian Times = Bat Boy.

13 Likes

OK, I’m no expert but this kind of raises my suspicions a bit. What does the superficial external structure of the specimen have to do with its suitability for cloning? Shouldn’t the real question be whether any DNA fragments survived relatively intact?

14 Likes

Who knows what these guys are supposedly talking about: probably a prop from 30,000 B.C., but what we now know is that a lion is a lion is a lion, including what was once called the Giant Jaguar. Lion subspecies do seem to respond to colder climates by becoming bigger. The largest extant, I believe, is the Ethiopian lion, while the largest ever was actually the European lion.

Pass the ketchup!

1 Like

Someone get Jeff Goldblum on the phone to give these guys a talking to.

11 Likes

Fifi, where have you been hiding?

1 Like

If it’s frozen like that, you have billions of perfectly intact cells to harvest DNA from. They’ve gotten DNA from fossils.

3 Likes

From what I understand they’re still a long way from getting anything close to an intact DNA strand from long extinct mammals. The problem has been described as trying to reconstruct a novel that’s been broken down into a random mix of individual words.

4 Likes

To be fair, although the first news broke well over a decade ago, there has been recent statements with cloning Woolly Mammoths:

6 Likes
7 Likes

OK just one thing. Don’t patch it up with frog DNA. promise me, ok?

17 Likes

If this is so close to being reality, why aren’t we trying to resurrect recent extinctions, or bolster species on the edge of extinction when husbandry isn’t helping?

10 Likes

Eighteenth-century preservationists forgot to convince a dodo, a passenger pigeon and a Steller’s sea cow to climb up on top of a glacier and freeze to death in 1768.

13 Likes

its “perfect” condition makes it a potential candidate for cloning.

They said that about me, and look at me now!

9 Likes

I’m sure they’ll keep in a cage, with a state-of-the-art security perimeter and maybe on an island. They’ll spare no expense.

9 Likes

Flat cat, why is that cat so flat? Poor pussy looks like maybe a mammoth stomped on him/her/it.

3 Likes