Angered by the No-More-AOCs rule, 31 colleges' Young Democrats boycott the DCCC

Her district is being eliminated.

4 Likes

Interesting. The 17th used to be one of the most bizarrely gerrymandered districts in Illinois, I thought they fixed it a couple of cycles ago. It is hard to imagine she won’t end up representing whatever new district emerges, as I think she is popular with her constituents, though it would be wonderfully ironic if she’d have to contest a primary with an incumbent to get there.

AOC is from New York.

7 Likes

All the wimmins look alike! :wink:

8 Likes

They start renumbering in ever state. That’s why we don’t have a 156th congressional district.

I thought you were talking about Bustos (since that’s mainly who my post was about).

W/r to AOC, I presume she’ll run in one of the districts that get some fraction of her current constituency (unless she tries for another office). That might mean two incumbents running against one another. Since the DCCC is supposed to operate for incumbents, I don’t know what they’ll do in that case. (Not that she’d need the DCCC to win.)

Go AOC you are the best.

1 Like

That is where you mentioned someone being safe from the primary. You only mentioned Bustos in connection with the DCCC.

AOC is decidedly not safe. This rule was brought in with an eye to not only preventing others like her, but her as well.

2 Likes

It is a silly thing to be arguing about, since (I think) we both agree on AOC and the DCCC. However, it is not clear to me that DCCC resources would not be available to AOC even if her district is changing, since their clientele is sitting Democrats in the House.

I hope this outcry over their rules has some effect on the DCCC decision. As a party member and very frequent donor to candidates I get calls pretty regularly from the DCCC, and I plan to mention this every time.

I’m not American so I don’t get a vote but I dearly wish my American siblings a candidate, any candidate that elects to wind down the Empire. The benefits to the US and the world would be incalculable. It’d be the ultimate win-win. If you had to pick one issue to be a single issue voter about, surely this is one’s the best.

3 Likes

But don’t you see, we’re just big cute doogies. We can’t help it that we want all the everythings!

fcf096ea1292938bdeab0241adfee37f

2 Likes

Well, sure, but AOC isn’t 35 yet.

A little perspective?
How many of the vendors who would be affected aren’t already committed to incumbents? And challengers, generally, would have to hire vendors who aren’t working for incumbents?

Define vendor. If, say, I was a caterer, and both candidates wanted to book me for different events at different dates, and I could accommodate both, why wouldn’t I? The same with a convention space.

In a big city with lots of options, this rule may not be prohibitive. In a less populous district with a limited selection of vendors to choose from, it might well be.

Covered vendors is the DCCC’s job, not mine.

And I was unclear maybe. I don’t mean to say no vendors would be presented with a conflict, just maybe not so many as to be a significant problem. That’s not meant as a defense of the DCCC — they’re pretty indefensible! — but an implicit plea for perspective.

FFS.

We are a handful of years away from the point where rising temperatures will have a non-zero risk of spontaneously igniting methane in the air. We have mass fish die-offs, major cities running out of drinkable water, Malaysia has just moved its capital because it’s sinking, the Fiji Islands are going to fricking drown and education standards are so low there are people who think letting their children die from measles is protecting them,

And what are politicians doing? Politicing for personal power and leaving the people who always get treated the worst at the bottom of the heap in terms of representation in order to trot out the same old blond-haired blue-eyed Übermensch who got us here in the first place.

AOC is popular, charismatic and fiercely intelligent. She is actually making policies in an effort to bring about her ideals rather than just pushing inoffensive nothings.

She is someone who could not only win, but do something good with the presidency when she gets there.

If these Captain America clones want to claim that they can represent women and minorities and want to do fairly by them, the best thing they can do is sit down, shut up and let one of those people lead while they follow.

tl;dr summary: grrrrrrrrrrr

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.