Angry "sovereign citizen" meets polite police officer

Not the first time this scenario has played out almost in the same exact way: http://www.nbc-2.com/story/18896412/sovereign-citizen-arrested-after-traffic-stop

3 Likes

That reminds me. A trial in Oregon has just concluded, and we’re all waiting for the jury to come to a verdict.

A federal court jury completed its first day of deliberations without reaching a verdict on Thursday in the trial of six men and a woman charged with conspiracy for their roles in the armed takeover of a U.S. Wildlife center in Oregon earlier this year.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-oregon-militia-idUSKCN12K142

17 Likes

Why does she keep pointing out the “superior” thing? What’s the point? You aren’t listening to the primary patrol officer, why would you listen to his “superior”?

And honestly…the sound of her voice is really grating.

edit: Did anyone find out what was in her bag?

10 Likes

just from the video i had a feeling this was a fringe movement… :slight_smile:

i had a roommate years back that claimed he didn’t have to pay any taxes because he was a sovereign “free man”. when he started eating my food, on my side of the fridge, i gave him the boot and freed him to live somewhere else. i unfortunately had to go through his boxes when he was leaving to recover many of my books and possessions that he liked. he also had some odd ideas about personal property.

40 Likes

9 Likes

Wait, the Articles of Confederation are still legitimate?

3 Likes

I’m so happy to have an occasion to praise a police officer for his calm demeanor in dealing with this clearly deluded woman. This is a great example of how some people (naming no names) can live in a bubble of faulty belief, as long as those beliefs don’t have to bump up against reality.

It’s also humorous to think about her desire to appeal to a higher authority within the system that she had just declared had no validity or control over her.

Classic.

24 Likes

I’ll join you.

21 Likes

OK ready for it?

In the early 19th c. the US Navy battle flag had a gold fringe. The modern US Flag Code does not specify a gold fringe, therefore a fringed flag cannot represent the US Government. So… It must be an indication that the court is using Admiralty law and not US law.

Kooks, every one of 'em.

25 Likes

Such entitlement and delusion. Sweet christmas.

2 Likes

Yeah I kinda got that from the wikipedia link… and admiralty law because we left the gold standard and reasons, or something.

Like gold itself is not a fiat currency… which it totally is.

13 Likes

Some years ago I worked for the IRS and we heard about these people all the time, for fairly obvious reasons. The law grinds them slow, but exceedingly fine.

21 Likes

Now we know what happened to Brittany Taylor after she left Daria.

10 Likes

The empty threats are rather choice, too.

To paraphrase - you’re gonna be in trouble so hard.

8 Likes

They’re still part of the US Code, but only for historical purposes. They have been superseded by the 1789 Constitution.

Sovs believe that older laws always have more power than new laws so articles > constitution.

In reality, the opposite is true. Newer laws are written with the old ones in mind, so older laws must be reconciled to the new law, not the other way around.

12 Likes

I think it’s commonly known as the “Nuh-uh! You can’t make me! I’m gonna tell on you!!” defense.

18 Likes

Neenerus neeneratum

34 Likes

What get me is that even given her wicky-wacky constitutional interpretation, why does she believe that this will work? That this guys “superior” will automatically cave and let her go when she spouts those “magic words”?

5 Likes

I’ve had similar problems with people who struggle with narcissism.

After a few weeks of…poor behavior from one guy, we agreed, mutually, to be civil. Then he started “borrowing” my shit without informing me in any way and generally getting really passive-aggressive.
A similar solution to yours followed.

8 Likes

I love that cop - he is the very picture of patience and trying to be reasonable with someone who is entirely unreasonable. He gave her every chance to do the right thing. People like this make being a peace officer a truly shitty job at times, and seeing him keep is cool is inspirational. Given the state of some other police departments, it is always a relief to see good examples of professionalism in dealing with true idiocy. Mad props.

33 Likes