Angry "sovereign citizen" meets polite police officer

“You’re not the government of me!”

12 Likes

9 Likes

When you disenfranchise the people and demonstrate that there are two sets of laws by ensuring a lack of equal protection, this sort of thing is bound to happen. While it’s easy enough to laugh at people like this, it just makes me sad. She’s confused and obviously frustrated by what she sees happening every day and just wants an easy answer. A lot of people are like that. So, we point and laugh and we keep the status quo without questioning what we have done to cause this sort of disconnect from reality. People like this are a symptom of a long broken system.

11 Likes

It’s true. He probably sent her down to that house.

7 Likes

OOOOOOh! Now I get it. I was thinking “fishing expedition”.

5 Likes

. . . muttering “good riddance.”

Perhaps we could set aside some land for these folks, ship 'em all there and see what happens. What do you bet that the first thing they’d do is form a government.

4 Likes

God I love sovereign citizens. It’s the best type of crazy. THE BEST I tell you.

6 Likes

They all be so busy jailing each other and pardoning themselves they’d never have time to bother anyone else. And they’d probably starve, so…

5 Likes

An education system that shouldn’t be bogged down by religious zealots and shitty textbooks, and 2) a mental health system insuring that the people who need it, get it, 3) her parents, grandparents, family, who didn’t instill more than half an ounce of critical thinking skills among other things…the list goes on. But I don’t think that this young woman’s juvenile and abundantly incorrect outrage represents the last days of Pax Americana.

16 Likes

Talk about coincidence? I was listening to radio lab: http://www.radiolab.org/story/invisible-girl/

It’s about a girl who was born to a family that are into the whole sovereign citizen thing, and the lack of paper trail left her without a birth cert, or anyway to prove she existed. It’s a cool listen, and they interview some folks about this ideology.

12 Likes

She should have been dragged out of the car and summarily booked on assault charges for using that noxious glass-shattering VOICE.

2 Likes

“It’s illegal to use a legal name”

So, I guess it’s legal to use an illegal name?

I suppose that explains why Harry Potter’s crew didn’t go to jail for using he-who-shall-not-be-named’s name.

1 Like

nimelennar https://bbs.boingboing.net/users/nimelennar Regular
October 21

nickle:

Do you not think that people should have to consent to laws?

I think that, by accepting citizenship of a country — instead of
emigrating, accepting citizenship of a different country with laws you like
better, and renouncing your previous citizenship — you are implicitly
accepting the laws of the country that you are a citizen and resident of.

I was thinking that too. (And the bottom must have really fallen out of the billboard advertising market that these kooks can afford a nationwide campaign)

It doesn’t appear to have achieved anything beyond getting an article on the BBC news website that ends with a solicitor quoted about adopting these kinds of ideas: “You may as well walk into court with a t-shirt saying 'I am an idiot”

Source

3 Likes

I now really want a gold-fringed flag to put on my car. Not only does it give me the power of a potentate, but I have to assume most cops are in on the New World Order, so they won’t give me ticket. Also there are InfoWars crazies around here, and I’d like them to think I’m a government spy when I drive by.

13 Likes

Is there really any other reason than this needed?

6 Likes

That’s nonsense. The Supreme Court didn’t exist under the Articles of Confederation - therefore you can’t cite it.

The robes don’t have fringes though.

7 Likes

Not the boat, not the river; mind is moving.

/philosopher

10 Likes

Or better yet…

5 Likes

Meth not even once.

6 Likes