Animated Gifs being mangled into jpegs?

FYI many of your gifs are appearing blank again.

2 Likes

Let me try this again…

from the tenor embed thingie:

And uploaded…

caitlin-doughty-schemes

1 Like

I noticed last night that the “cackling intensifies” GIF I picked from Tenor is also appearing as blank on my iPad (running iOS 14).

3 Likes

I haven’t had problems with seeing them, and I’m running a thinkpad with some Red Hat OS. It seems like maybe this is a problem on apple products? :thinking:

Those two are working on both PC and Apple platforms here. :man_shrugging:

Some of the ones you’ve posted recently work, some do not. Maybe it’s the humidity?

3 Likes

In the fall? :grin:

It was almost 70 here in the DC area and humid just the other day!

Today, not so much. :fallen_leaf:

1 Like

They work on my desktop (both Firefox and Safari on Mac), so it’s apparently something specific to iOS. At a guess, some kind of weird encoding problem, since “gif” no longer means “a file that conforms to the GIF87a or GIF89a standards” and is now just a container with any number of video files backing it.

2 Likes

The two above work on an iPad. At least 15 mins ago.

1 Like

Well, that’ll teach me to talk about something I noticed last night without re-checking it today, 'cause it just came up on my iPhone.

1 Like

It’s an odd bug. Hers are not the only ones posted that are not displaying correctly.

1 Like

It’s anything from Tenor - shows up as a blank area that I can copy from Safari and drop into Chrome to see what it is. Pretty annoying.

2 Likes

In the world of strange image behaviours, I’ve noticed for at least a couple of months that the images in the most recent post or two of a busy thread are broken when I open the thread, but working if I revisit the thread at some later time.

Being in Europe, I’d idly wondered if it was a cdn issue.

Don’t recall having noticed it in the past few days, but it’s been common enough that I might have ignored it :man_shrugging:.

How about this? I went directly to the website and here is a link from there directly:

Okay, now I can’t even see that with a direct link. [ETA] Oh wait, I can see it as a little video once I saved the comment.

Here it is from the embed thingie:

I can see the second one, but I’m guessing it’s still a problem for you?

I tried saving from tenor and uploading, but the blessed thing is 9mb…

2 Likes

I can see both here, but I can’t see your first gif at comment 34.

1 Like

Hm. @codinghorror?

1 Like

Was broken earlier, is working now.

2 Likes

Am I the only one still seeing an occasional instance of this? It seems to be video related, since when I long-press the still image, Save video appears.

(It seems to be my modified Chromium browser on mobile. If I bring up the stock Chrome browser, the video works fine.)

Edit: and now it’s working for me. Maybe my tablet is acting up?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.