Another high-speed pursuit ends dramatically in Southern California

Originally published at: Another high-speed pursuit ends dramatically in Southern California | Boing Boing

9 Likes

A lot of people blame GTA for high speed chases, but I think a lot of it comes from the drivers’ realizing “I’m Driving While Brown so they’re gonna fucking kill me if I pull over!”

15 Likes

In this case, the unregistered gun in the car was likely also inspirational.

15 Likes

Yeah, that’s definitely going to tip the scales. Better odds taking chances with physics.

5 Likes

It is amazing what drivers can survive. Road Safety Science, eh?

12 Likes

Funny thing about chases, they require at least two parties. Ban high speed pursuit yesterday.

17 Likes

…ends dramatically in Southern California

Ooo! Where did it start?

7 Likes

Wisconsin. Dude was really booking when he hit that fountain.

11 Likes

This bums me out to see someone wreck through the Orange Circle fountain. It’s such a cool little part of OC.

9 Likes

A “ghost gun?”

4 Likes

Exactly. You want someone THAT bad? Follow them in a chopper.

6 Likes

“Gotta love it” says the reporter, as the driver plows through a highly pedestrian area at speed. That’s “old town Orange” - lots of shops and restaurants, and very pedestrian-friendly, with a university only a few blocks away.

It would be not unreasonable to close the whole area to traffic, but the east-west street is pretty important, so they’d have to work out a bypass.

3 Likes

Simply everything’s dramatic in Suthun Coliforniyah, dude!

Also:
cwaa
That poor, sweet fountain.

4 Likes

car was probably also stolen, it’s a Hyundai after all

3 Likes

A receiver made “at home”, which is generally illegal in California, and is an increasing problem. He also has the extended mag which is also illegal but can be hard to prosecute. And he was on probation and there’s probably some more charges related to that.

Yes article says stolen car, not surprisingly. He was worried about the gun situation, didn’t care about the car.

Edit: he’s on parole, which means he has a felony conviction, so simple possession of the gun could be charged federally, for 10 years, aside from all the other state level charges he could face. Those state charges would include illegal carry, illegal loaded gun, “ghost” gun, plus al the driving and evading arrest issues and the stolen car. I really think that felons in possession, especially who are committing other crimes like this guy, should be charged federally.

2 Likes

We need to remove violent fountains and replace them with peaceful burbbuling ones right away. /s

2 Likes

Note to self: next car = Hyundai Sonata

2 Likes

Take out the fountains and replace them with ramps?

2 Likes

It woud be safer for everybody. Except maybe the pedestrians.

2 Likes

You are Mr. L. Prosser, and I claim my £5!

2 Likes