Watch a driver fleeing the police lose control of his car

Originally published at: Watch a driver fleeing the police lose control of his car | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Never really took an interest in those videos before. I’m a little surprised by the continual professional-sports -commentator patter; not living in L.A. I didn’t know they’d been honed to that level of presentation.

I guess I can continue to live without it.

4 Likes

Said it before - but they need to make highspeed chases carry a public endangerment penalty similar to attempted homicide.

I know the argument is don’t bother chasing and nobody gets hurt - but I think in some cases you really do need to catch and detain these people.

6 Likes

The line of permanently parked RVs provides that added L.A. touch.

Los Angeles police pursuit videos on YouTube have never failed to entertain me.

Back in the pre-YouTube days, watching the chases live was even better. A sitcom once did a whole episode focused on the entire city shutting down whenever one happened.

I think it’s a required skill for on-air talent at SoCal news outlets.

5 Likes

That’s so true to life. They would be broadcast live with multiple stations. helicopters fighting for the shot.

2 Likes

That RV was probably someone’s home he hit. Hopefully they weren’t in it at the time. Note that there was another one parked a few yards away.

6 Likes

Since it happened at night, chances are that was someone in it. RV living is one of the many ways people cope with the city’s unaffordable housing market.

4 Likes

On the other side of the equation is that the RVs are frequently parked around elementary schools and libraries here so it likely saved a classroom or other learning space? Looking for the positive…

4 Likes

Only if it’s applied to the police who do the chasing.

With modern technology, there’s no need to chase someone. You can’t outrun drones/cameras/helicopters.

1 Like

Not sure that these tools are ubiquitous as one might think.

And - I suppose there are good points to be made to decrease the amount of passive and active surveillance available to law enforcement - not increase.

Complex issue for sure.

It kind of looks like he was just attempting a Drifting manoeuvre, maybe with no previous experience or calibration.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.