Gentleman trolls L.A. police with a slow-speed car chase that lasted for 6 long hours

Originally published at: Gentleman trolls L.A. police with a slow-speed car chase that lasted for 6 long hours | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Here is a great This American Life story about a slow speed chase in LA in 2001

5 Likes

Okay, are you sitting down? Because if you watched any of the footage showing the kids-glove treatment, you are going to be totally shocked by what I’m about to tell you.
The driver?

He was white.

27 Likes

I was wondering why the police didn’t block the road ahead of him.

12 Likes

Me, too! WTF, I feel like I could’ve done better containment than they did, just building on my one defensive driving course and my vast knowledge of tv chase scenes.
If only it were at all funny, it would be a joke.

8 Likes

How on earth do you let a chase go that long…? Here’s how it goes in the UK.

4 Likes

So you’re telling me it wasn’t OJ?

7 Likes

Given his slow speed, it seems like it would have been fairly easy to pass him and throw down a spike strip in front of him.

4 Likes

A British car show demonstrated how to handle this situation back in 2014… TGPD vs Captain Slow | Top Gear | Series 21 | BBC - YouTube

3 Likes

driving oj simpson GIF

(To be fair, I don’t remember it lasting 6 hours…)

5 Likes

Chevy Malibu? The police must have been really curious to see what was in the trunk, but “oh, you don’t wanna look in there…”

14 Likes

At that speed a spike strip might not stop them and creates a hazard to others that has to be managed and cleaned up…

I actually don’t think this was necessarily a bad decision on the part of the police, assuming they didn’t have any more urgent callouts – you know the car is eventually going to stop, and as long as the driver is driving safely, anything I can think of besides following would put people and property in more danger. It shows a commitment to deescalation that I think we should be lauding, honestly.

11 Likes

I watched this chase on Smoke and Scan live last night. I was too impatient to watch to the end.

3 Likes

Actually, I am surprised they didn’t try to PITT maneuver him or box him in sooner. But maybe we should encourage this less violent approach.

4 Likes

They could have at least tried to stop him with a pile of empty cardboard boxes in an alleyway.

12 Likes

Stop him? Hell no, I’m on double overtime!

16 Likes

Best Beasty Boys video ever.

3 Likes

You make a very good point. And I think we can do both: point out how this is an effective, non lethal approach that they successfully deployed, and also (maybe angrily, even?) ask why the F they can’t seem to do the same thing when the “perp” is a POC. (Except, when pointed out, as in the notable OJ example).

9 Likes

If that was a POC, they’d have been shooting right off, 2 systems of justice in the USA, one for whites, and the other for POC. I do hope they stopped by and picked him up a happy meal before booking…

FACT!

7 Likes

Helpful PSA

9 Likes