Gentleman trolls L.A. police with a slow-speed car chase that lasted for 6 long hours

This.

This This This.

There is no excuse for high speed chases, especially if cops have a copter. Chases kill innocents, criminals, cops, and mentally discomposed people far far too often. Like most Hollywood ideas, they are actually really bad ideas.

What we see here is an (all too rare) instance of competent policing.

8 Likes

I wonder what it’s like to cross that magic line in the sand, when you decide NOT to pull over for the cops. It’s a pretty drastic line because you can go from a routine traffic ticket to several years in prison and many tens of thousands in fines depending on how dangerous your driving was to the general public.

5 Likes

At the end of the video, those cops all looked SOOOO scared, holy crap! They were afraid to come near the guy for like 10 minutes. Even the suspect was getting tired of them being scared of him, having to tell them, C’mon already! Then, they were scared of his car. All grouped together, holding each others nutz as they approached it, all in a tight little group, pushing each other to get in front. I’m embarrassed for the LAPD.

3 Likes

“Gentleman Trolls” sounds like inhabitants of a Hipster Dungeon.

4 Likes

Or a Steampunk car chase. Clint Eastwood wouldn’t have let this happen.

1 Like

At least they won’t get any speeding tickets stacked on their list of criminal charges.

2 Likes

I’m certain that POC suspects are much more likely to experience bad outcomes in these types of car chases than white subjects, but slow, peaceful pursuits like this are not unheard of in L.A., even for POC. The This American Life episode that @agro linked to above is great listening, and involved a slow speed chase with a black driver who the police eventually just stopped following after a couple of hours.

ETA: what made the TAL episode great was that they did something that the TV news networks never do: they tracked down the suspect afterward and interviewed him to learn what the chase was like from his perspective, and what was motivating him to keep running in the first place. It was very humanizing and insightful, not to mention entertaining.

5 Likes

This knockoff of the Fast and Furious franchise isn’t nearly as riveting.

5 Likes

Feel free to shift up into 2nd any time, my man.

2 Likes

There was supposedly concern that the guy had a gun and that’s why the police acted the way they acted. Though I remember seeing another chase where they just sicced a dog on the driver once he stopped.

What I don’t get is why the @#&^$@ obsession with these stupid chases? I hate it.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Cops earning some easy overtime?

Sure, no speeding, but multiple traffic infractions for running signs/lights, driving on the rims of blown tires, etc

1 Like

“Slow and Seething”

6 Likes

Cbs What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

4 Likes
3 Likes

I wonder why the tire came off.

1 Like

Which they could have done on a Segway.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.