Another mirror monolith pops up, this time near Vegas

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/18/another-mirror-monolith-pops-up-this-time-near-vegas.html

4 Likes

I doubt it’s a monolith.

Doubting both the mono and the lith part, actually.

6 Likes

The folks making/copying these should consider that these mirror finish installations can create fires to nearby brush, especially if the area is particularly dry. Which in Vegas it would be.

8 Likes

Also sprach Zarathustra

6 Likes

4 Likes

Is that actually possible if the surfaces are all flat, and the facets all point away from each other? Seems like the worst it could do is double the amount of sunlight hitting any given surface, and I’m not sure if that’s enough to cause ignition, even in a hot location like the Vegas desert.

It’s possible even with a flat mirror, it depends on the angle of the sun rays. From my casual Google-Fu the consensus is that it’s unlikely, but not impossible. Under the right conditions any highly reflective surface can cause a fire

3 Likes

(I may or may not have learned this lesson firsthand at 7 years old, while playing with my mom’s compact mirror in the backyard.)

7 Likes

That’s probably less bad than me playing with a whole box of matches and almost setting the bathroom on fire :sweat_smile: my parents still won’t let that one go.

6 Likes

My family never found out; luckily, I was playing right by the garden hose spigot and I was quick thinking.

Now the malfunctioning toaster that we had a few years later, which almost set the kitchen on fire?

They knew all about that incident…

5 Likes

Wasnt Me Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

4 Likes

Who could predict sun?

1 Like

Yeah that does remind me of a reddit post i saw recently where the trim on a guy’s car was being slowly melted from the sun’s reflection from his neighbor’s house.

2 Likes
1 Like

OK, we’ll just buy rusty I beams in bulk and use those.

Or refractive ones, like all those half-full water bottles that people toss along the trails.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.