This $18 million end-times underground home in Las Vegas is surreal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/20/this-18-million-end-times-und.html

10 Likes

Ugh;

it looks like a life-sized playset for Stepford Wife Barbie:

O_o

26 Likes

Also, this same story seems to pop up here, every couple of years…

26 Likes

While the concept sounds interesting, the execution is really quite garish. No way would I subject myself to those pseudo-Thomas Kinkade murals 24/7.

19 Likes

Is it the same bunker? I seem to remember the last one having more of a Pacific islands theme, and I don’t remember the swimming pool. Searching the bB archive. . . . .

ETA: Nope, I was misremembering; same place. Apparently in 2013 it was selling for $1.7M—what a bargain!

8 Likes

This would be fun to stay in for a long weekend.

Especially for an immersive viewing of “A Boy and his Dog”.

Or not. As I recall, the ending of that movie was in poor taste.

13 Likes

Living in an underground bunker has never sounded appealing to me, let alone if I was forced to endure such hideous decor…

12 Likes

Has no one here seen “Blast from the Past”?

Brendan Frasier, Alicia Silverstone, Christopher Walken. A naive man comes out into the world after spending 35 years in a nuclear fallout shelter. LA, Las Vegas, same thing.

22 Likes

A bunker with a Pacific Islands theme reminds me of actual bunkers on Pacific Islands.

Last year I got to see the Naval bunker on Okinawa. It was freaky.

I think every American tourist does what I did and take a picture of that sign

3 Likes

3 Likes

Yeah, I saw it; and I wouldn’t have wanted to live in that repulsive underground bunker either.

7 Likes

This place comes on the market, it seems like, every six months.

3 Likes

15 Likes

I was going to make a joke about underestimating the enduring appeal of the underground bunker, but then I found it on the sixth page of “site:boingboing.net underground bunker” results.

That I went this far into the search results probably means that I am underestimating the enduring appeal of the underground bunker.

I will note that the 2013 article says that the property has a caretaker house on the lot, and it was for sale for a mere $1.7 million then. I assume we can blame Obama for that.

4 Likes

Jinx! Enjoy your preferred brand of cola.

2 Likes

I’m confused as to why they just didn’t grow some real plants down there? Certainly if you’re thinking end times you’ll want some veggies at the very least. And a weed farm for bartering.

12 Likes

I love this movie.

ADAM
             And, I'm asking you to trust me
             without understanding why.

CALVIN
             Well, in that case...of course, son.
3 Likes

Not to mention, HEMP.

There’s so much that can be made from hemp…

10 Likes

I remember at one point in the mid 70s when I was in middle school, trying to convince my mom to install an underground bunker in our back yard in case a nuclear bomb went off. Those were good times indeed.

10 Likes

Living in Tornado Alley, we got used to living in basements that were combination dens and rec rooms. And even the worst decor was ten times better than this.

12 Likes