This $18 million end-times underground home in Las Vegas is surreal

getting Blast From the Past vibes.

3 Likes

It’s not any more surreal or bizarre than anything else on the Las Vegas Strip.

7 Likes

Especially this one.

13 Likes

I can hear the banjos and distant screaming in that one.

10 Likes

Me, too. Christopher Walken makes me laugh so hard with his reaction to news about the Cold War.
:rofl:

5 Likes

Yeah, never seeing out would kind of suck. I wouldn’t mind, per say, for the heating/cooling savings of an underground home, but I’d want to be able to go up to a field and trees and some sort of view above. Not a parking lot and offices.

5 Likes

If the home really is for the end-times, filtering out whatever’s floating around in the air outside won’t be cheap! :thinking: No point cutting corners with bunker construction, as the scientists living underground learned the hard way in Night of the Comet. :wink:

8 Likes

6 Likes

Anyone else notice that the property has the word SEX prominently displayed in the landscape and includes a stripper pole?

7 Likes

Great movie!
fun fact: Catherine Mary Stewart’s brother Alan Nursall is director of Edmonton’s “World of Science” science centre and a bit of a TV personality in Canada (Discovery channel)

2 Likes

I referenced that movie recently, wondering how many people will disconnect and “go underground” for the duration of the pandemic. Some might forget to come out.

Geez, talk about inflation.

1 Like

Also, that is very much not

From above it appears to be an empty lot.

Oh yeah, the savings on AC would be incredible. Not that it would pay for itself when the place costs 8 figures, but when temps are 110-115 up top? Oh man. When I lived in Vegas I could’ve lived in there and stayed nice and cool…and redecorated.

5 Likes

Maybe if it wasn’t so horrifying looking inside and “out”, it might help with the sale.
Literally everything about it is awful.

1 Like

I dunno, I think it has that sort of Fallout level of charm. With an interior upgrade, it could be quite nice and, conceptually, it is pretty cool. It just needs that sort of money poured into improving the concept as opposed to just buying it.

2 Likes

How far underground is it?

2 Likes

https://www.realtor.com/news/unique-homes/underground-house-las-vegas/
from the above link:

It isn’t built to sustain a nuclear attack, but it is built 26 feet underground.

more from from the above link:

It comes with an equally mind-bending price: $18 million. The price seems a bit aggressive, considering that the property last changed hands in 2015 for $1,150,000.

Did the current owners remodel it? Did they add secret spy gear? Or is the price simply a typo?

It’s nothing of the sort, according to listing agent Stephan LaForge of BHHS Nevada Properties.

“The price reflects the price to rebuild,” he explains. If an enterprising builder wanted to replicate this one-of-a-kind property in 2019, it would be nearly impossible.

LaForge says it would cost at least $18 million to dig a third-of-an-acre hole and reinforce it with a half-mile of solid-steel I-beams. Then you must factor in all the other features and amenities the bunker contains.

The property’s current owners paid cash for the acre lot a little over four years ago. It has a five-bedroom, six-bathroom house (with pool!) underground, and a small townhouse above ground.

They’ve added some essentials, including repeaters that allow cellphone reception, cable, and internet below ground. They also replaced all eight air-conditioning units (you need to have plenty of fresh air down there!) and added a 1,000-gallon water tank, among other infrastructure improvements.

3 Likes

I hear what you’re saying, it’s just maybe do SOMETHING to make it not so bad.
I’ve always said “I’d rather live in Phoenix for 100 years than Vegas for 1.” I guess if I had to live in a fallout shelter, it wouldn’t matter where it was…

1 Like

…I’d much rather live in Vegas again than Phoenix. Once you get away from the strip? It is the biggest small town I’ve ever lived in. To each their own. :wink:

2 Likes