This $18 million end-times underground home in Las Vegas is surreal

Gotta sell before Trump leaves office and the dystopia dissipates.

3 Likes

The Epstein compound in Vegas.

2 Likes

I’m going to go against the grain a bit, and say that I actually weirdly like it. I’m a child of the 70’s and 80’s, and this is like the hell version of my childhood, but with a pool and a stripper pole. It’s the sort of thing that it’s so absolutely bad that it actually has a weird charm.

And on being underground. I stayed in an underground place in Coober Pedy Australia for a few days some years back. It was quite nice, but a bit disconcerting for a few reasons: It seemed a wee bit stuffy (though that may have been my mind messing with me). It definitely was dark dark when the lights went out. You don’t realize how much unintentional waste light is around at night until there just isn’t any, and it’s truly pitch black. And the last: you’d be surprised how much sound gets transmitted through bedrock walls. We heard this weird gnawing sound for hours at night. It was apparently miners working in the cool of night, hunting opals, miles outside of town (but still fairly audible in town).

14 Likes

Seven air conditioners and a bunch of cell repeaters don’t sound worth more than sixteen million. Free publicity? Now, that might be worth the trouble of listing for an absurd price.

3 Likes

Uh oh. I’d be watching out for Adam coming to take me to “the farm”…

1 Like

Not surprised. The decor looks right out of a seedy 70’s bordello.

2 Likes

I actually kind of dig it, but I know what you mean. Trying to create an illusion of open space can be way more oppressive than the mere lack of space. For a Manhattan apartment this would be cavernous, but when you paint a fake sky on the ceiling it just calls attention to the crushing inescapable mass of rubble bearing down on you 24/7 like the earth of your living grave. I think it’s OK here because the illusion is crappy to begin with, so you don’t get the uncomfortable sensation of constantly forgetting and then being reminded.

It’s similar to why I like small overgrown city parks, and dislike the flat open kind where you just see the millions of people surrounding you on all sides.

3 Likes

They’re probably marketing it straight at him. Dude’s gonna need a new bunker to quiver in like a fucking coward casually stroll through for random inspections, once he loses access to the one in the White House.

3 Likes

Seems a bit highbrow for his tastes

3 Likes

Good point. Just because they’re asking $18 million, doesn’t mean they’ll only take $18 million. They may let it go for much less.

Another thought is that old idea that if something isn’t selling at the price you’ve set, don’t mark it down—mark it UP! Then it seems more desirable.

And I suppose that at $1 million, the potential customer is someone who wants the place for themself, because they actually like it—which can’t be all that many people, I’d guess. But at $18 million, the potential customer could be someone who is just looking for a place to park some money, or just wants to make a purchase that shows off how much excess money they have to throw around. There are probably more of those people.

3 Likes

Needs more periscopes.

4 Likes

Although 26 feet down is a long way, I’m a bit surprised they weren’t able to engineer some light wells for natural light ( with closable steel shutters for when the balloon goes up)

There’s some serious dead mall aesthetic going on with that place

5 Likes

Odd origin story. They built the kitchen first then decided the best thing to do with it was to bury it.

1 Like

I never liked either city much, but I’ve learned to like PHX having had to travel there so much in the last decade for work and because my in-laws live in a retirement community.
Also, the criteria would be living in Central Phoenix, not way out in some HOA community somewhere. I could not handle that (same way I live now).
Vegas… I have been there a lot and there’s no there there. IMO.

1 Like

Cool idea but the whole thing looks like astroturf ikea.

3 Likes

I believe The Invisible Hand needs to punch this guy in the face.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that I’ve eaten at this Mexican restaurant before.

Ah yes, Casa Bonita!

3 Likes

There was a bar here in Seattle that if you made it to the farthest back little hidden booth, it had a working periscope. If this 18M house doesn’t have a periscope, walk away. :wink:

4 Likes

it’s so bad it’s good. i’d totally live there.

2 Likes