Another newsreader calls MLK Jr "Martin Luther C**n"

point blank. one slip up is never going to be enough just cause to terminate someone. It was not a one time incident for the last guy, there had to have been other instances not on camera.

2 Likes

oh come on now. stop making sense.

1 Like

7 Likes

Sure; I haven’t heard that but I also don’t watch TV so I miss bits sometimes (news mainly via CNN/BBC/Reuters online, can’t afford WaPo). But this discussion is mainly about the second sot, isn’t it?

Evidence means it likely isn’t just a simple flub or paredolia. But I need that evidence, before I will judge someone for what could easily be completely excusable. Public opinion is one thing, trials by the public are something else, entirely.

1 Like

Some people think that MLK was (at least) better-than-average.

Others show resentment that the feelings of “people who think MLK should at least not have his name mangled” should be considered at all.

The same people would also be apoplectic online if the wrong person dropped a flag at a military memorial, or mis-spelled their favorite actor’s name.

3 Likes

Basically, they want the rest of us to not be so sensitive about racism and sexism, but they want us to always respect them and their feelings…

22 Likes

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

1 Like

Go tell it to Adam Schiff.

2 Likes

I see you’ve fully embraced the post truth era. Welcome to Trump’s America.

4 Likes

Ordinarily, I’m inclined to presume error rather than intent, but:

Well… it is, really.

ETA: No, I’m not offering proof of anything. Just respectfully disagreeing that it’s a near-inevitable slip-of-the-tongue.

9 Likes

Say both words. Feel where your jaw and tongue go. Yeah, they are. And I question where you got “near-inevitable”, rather than “understandable”; NOT the same thing.

Also (I’ve been spelling it wrong, dammit, but I blame Boundegar):

Well…as I am often reminded how my posts are my opinion…so is anything you see on BB. This is a blog. Any of the contributors can post anything they like (within reason) and not be bound by any legal requirements like any AP News source would be. So I take umbrage with some of the headlines and spin as being click bait-ish sometimes, but in this case I do not see anything here that raises a red flag. I think @beschizza has a good headline stating the facts. His snark of Slip of the tongue! We just can’t help ourselves! is completely accurate…two times in as many weeks is two times too many.

As for the comments…again, everyone gets their opinion. And the viewpoint of “racism is racism, whether its a casual slip of the tongue or a full on KKK incident…it’s still racism” is not over egging the pudding.

Like I said for the last guy and for this one…termination by the employer is not going to be over this one time thing…it will be from a series of issues behind the scenes.

Your asking for evidence, but this is not a court of law. It’s a blog and a forum.

10 Likes

King… my tongue arches and my top lip stretches out.

Coon… my lips purse and my tongue retreats.

Truly, I await your next response with bated breath.

8 Likes

Sorry; I still don’t agree :wink: They start the same way, of course, but my mouth shape is very different thereafter.

OTOH:

From the same person, maybe. In two entirely separate instances, not necessarily. Errors do happen.

My opinion is that this is.

2 Likes

Fair enough.

Can’t seem to do it. Does it help if you’re thinking raccoon at the same time?

1 Like

Mr Anchorman, you have literally ONE JOB. No one is asking you to write news copy. Your job is to read whats on the teleprompter out loud, in a way that can be clearly understood by all the viewers.

Accidentally saying one of George Carlin’s seven magic words… is a career limiting move. If you do that purely by accident, no one is going to ask if thats the kind of language you use a lot at home.

Its really not asking a lot, to please avoid alienation black viewers, who also watch the ads that pay the bills at the news station. If you arent able to clearly pronounce the name of a national holiday without desecrating the parson it honors… this is a career limiting move.

Intention has nothing to do with it, its about ability.

Yikes. This isnt rocket science!

13 Likes

Funny you should mention that. The UK parallel that immediately sprang to mind is the way several (well, I can think of three) TV news people have, er, mangled the name of the Foreign Secretary, Jeremy Hunt. With a ‘H’. Not a ‘C’.
Again, I can accept it’s quite possibly an error. But it’s also quite possibly what they call him in private.

6 Likes

Knowing how savage the UK press can get, after that many, I’d say it may be directly purposeful. As in, “almost certainly is”.

Now that is going a bit too far. :wink:

1 Like