TV reporter who uttered racial slur on air says she "combined the names of the Knicks and the Lakers"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/27/tv-reporter-who-uttered-racial.html

2 Likes

I heard the clip of that broadcast. You don’t get the n-word from knackers or knickers or whatever. I heard a hard g in there, she’s straight up lying.

7 Likes

Early in my courtship with my now wife, I fumbled saying “gypped” and/or “screwed” at the same time. Out came “jewed.” My wife is Jewish. Yikes!

9 Likes

I dunno… it really seems like she got tongue tied on that one with the stuttered speech before the word.

7 Likes

There certainly was a hard g in there but why would she mean to say something like that? When you start saying the wrong thing and try to correct yourself, strange results can come out. I mean if this person has a history of saying racist things then maybe.

3 Likes

I fumbled saying “gypped” and/or “screwed” at the same time. Out came “jewed.”

Not that gypped is much better.

25 Likes

Stay classy San Diego!

5 Likes

“Jewed” is indeed a word people use to mean “gypped” and “screwed” at the same time.

Just not in my presence, and not if they want to live.

15 Likes

I like the cut of your jib.

10 Likes

Oh boy, this again.

Lurking in one’s neurons. Oooo.

6 Likes

K and (hard) G are both glottal stops, the only difference is whether the stop is voiced or not.

Long A sound is a closing diphthong.

IMO, their explanation is plausible and her apology passes the sniff test.

I’m not prepared to crucify them on the strength of one stumbled word in an 18 second TV clip.

My opinion is subject to change if evidence emerges they have a history of using racial slurs.

15 Likes

(Mentally combines the names of the Chicago Bulls and the Qatar Hitters)

5 Likes

After hearing the clip, I can’t imagine that she said anything other than what it sounded like. The knicks excuse seems like obvious, transparent bullshit

2 Likes

Again with this bullshit?

7 Likes

Either she mixed up the words in her brain, or an MSNBC host decided she would use the news of Kobe Bryants death to say the n word with no context for no reason, part of a dastardly plan to be racist on air for some reason?

I dunno one explanation sounds a lot simpler than the other.

12 Likes

Agreed. I don’t hear an incontrovertible hard G in there. Try repeating “lager laker” over & over & see if you can hear it correctly every time when you’re saying it yourself.

2 Likes

Man, I always get such a laugh out of that “Dede Megadodo” flub! thank you for linking that one again…

3 Likes

5 Likes

I see the author of this piece has already tried and condemned the reporter, with the headline. This manufactured outrage is getting tiresome. Hey, maybe you can find an old clip of her making the “OK” symbol to someone as well. Bring out the tar and feathers.

2 Likes

The headline is literally a description of what she did and then a direct quote from her explaining why she did it.

2 Likes