Galveston GOP Chairwoman says her text message with N-word was a "typo"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/10/galveston-gop-chairwoman-says.html

I think she said “the sheriff is near!”

53 Likes

Excuse for me one quick sec, I need to make a call:

63 Likes

How do you misspell nincompoop?:thinking:

8 Likes

“It’s not that I meant to type that word, it’s just that I type that word so often in nearly every context that my keyboard app guesses it’s what I mean any time I type a noun starting with ‘n’”

88 Likes

Seeing as how words chosen as autocorrect substitutions tend to be words that the user has typed before, one has to wonder how often she had typed that word previously and in what contexts?

34 Likes

If she wasn’t typing about Winnie the Pooh then it wasn’t a mistake.

21 Likes

Even then, the ‘N’ and ‘T’ keys are nowhere near one another…

30 Likes

tenor

65 Likes

Wow, even as stupid weak racist excuses go, that is some serious bullshit. Well I guess you gotta excel somewhere, right? Because she is certainly not excelling in “worthwhile human being-ing”

25 Likes

I was just looking at the keyboard for the letters next to N: B, H, J, M. Not sure what to make of that.

I think there’s a blank that needs to be filled in there. After complaining about not paying back a loan, Waters meant to describe Edwards as a “typical [what]”. Like, I get how anything is a step down from what Waters actually wrote, but what word could you even put there that isn’t going to be problematic.

Unless Waters meant to describe the person who Waters felt had cheated them out of money as a “typical Republican.”

23 Likes

I, for one, am shocked to find out the GOP chair of Galveston County is a racist. Shocked, I say!

Well, not that shocked. I live in Galveston County.

37 Likes

That’s what I was wondering as well–if you’re going to go the “typo!!!” route, at least have a plausible replacement. Edwards was a typical…Nigerian prince? Nightly visitor? Neighbor?

16 Likes

Well, you know, she could just claim auto-correct failure. It happens all the time, after all.

The thing is pretty much no phone keyboard will auto-correct a word to anything generally considered offensive. Unless you type it all the time which trains the ML that handles auto-correction, of course.

30 Likes

Dick Armey famously “misspoke” and called Barney Frank “Barney Fag”. Congressman Frank pointed out that no one had ever accidentally misspoke and called his mother Mrs. Fag.

43 Likes

there is… no room in our party for racist comments.

But like an out of control frat party, you somehow manage to keep squeezing more in.

42 Likes

Typical GOPper.

Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t actually type that. Autocorrect did it. I actually typed something totally different and entirely inoffensive.

12 Likes

Like that guy that did that anti-Obama song “The Great Reneger”. Totally inoffensive! If you hear something else, it’s totally your fault!

3 Likes

Does she type using Dvorak layout? In Dvorak they’re adjacent. Yeah, that must be it.

12 Likes

How hard up are congress representatives they need to borrow money from each other?

5 Likes