Galveston GOP Chairwoman says her text message with N-word was a "typo"

I very much believe (without insider knowledge) that predictive and autocorrecting keyboards have hard tendencies against autocompleting to curse words and racial epithets.

4 Likes

Damn you, Autocorrect!

3 Likes

On the one I use you can turn off the block on “offensive predictions”.

7 Likes

Sounds like a good band name. “Offensive Predictions Enabled”

17 Likes

Even without that, my phone makes me work to say “fuck”.

13 Likes

So… it’s the professional context then?
Or that she meant it as an insult?
Because clearly she is African American herself.

Typical bigger?

Bigger what?

Fuck Galveston County Republican Party Chairwoman Yolanda Waters with a flaming tent pole, sideways.

Sorry, that was autocorrect for “I believe her”.

19 Likes

I don’t use the default keyboard. I use swiftkey. It’s very accommodating

2 Likes

They 100% do. There have been articles about it, interviews with designers. Early testing showed that touch keyboards were much more likely to have undetected typos than physical keyboards (it’s much easier to notice you were off by a key than off by half an inch on a flat surface). If you text your friend and say that “Trump is a ducking moron,” it’s a mistake your friendship will probably survive. If you text grandma to say that while on vacation you saw some lovely fucks on the lake, the work to repair your mistake might be quite a bit higher. So they err on the side of leaving those words out of the autocorrect dictionary. I understand on some phones it’s actually really hard to type them. (On my swipe keyboard I have to enter them one letter at a time but it doesn’t correct me after that)

16 Likes

Typical jigger. He’s a shot glass.

6 Likes

We know that she was really trying to spell…
download

COUGH Naggers COUGH

12 Likes

15 Likes

DIG UP LADY  

1 Like

I’m going to take this as genuine. While acceptable use of the word does depend on who says it, that isn’t all that matters. She considers herself black and latina, but that doesn’t mean that calling a black man lazy and selfish and saying that he doesn’t work because he is “typical” is any less racist because of her ethnicity. Surely that is easy to get

9 Likes

Pretty sure this is the first time I’ve heard that n** is a bad word. Maybe I haven’t been paying attention.

I would link to the page at acronymfinder.com , but are we not supposed to do that anymore…?

Gitch, please!

4 Likes

It was bad enough when Republicans decided that anyone who wasn’t wearing a prominent American Flag pin on their lapel was some kind of America-hating terrorist sympathizer. Are giant, bedazzled elephants part of the new GOP dress code now?

glitter-elephant

13 Likes

As someone who struggles with auto-correct, and who cusses a lot, I can tell you auto-correct never defaults to the ducking swear. In fact it often auto completes to a safe word and you have to retype it.

8 Likes

When ever there is a “b” in between two words, i don’t know why the phone software hasn’t figured out it was supposed to be a space.

2 Likes

rachel-dolezal-noping-out

20 Likes