Another Olympic pool turned green

Sometimes the olympics committee has to deal with matters of basic infrastructure. Sometimes they have to deal with spoiled prima donnas.

So that’s why the IOC eschews brown M&M’s.

They just want to make sure that you’re doubly competent.

Yeah, the more I read, the more I’m inclined to believe my initial suspicions were wrong. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Algae it is.

1 Like

5 Likes

This Mr. Andrada appears to be angling for “First man in history to be killed by angry mob of analytical chemists” here.

(Even worse, he could have just gone with ‘even apparently trivial ecology isn’t’ and nobody would have had to get hurt.)

4 Likes

Just rewatched this ep when I turned our teenager on to the Blackadder series. I freakin’ love “Bladder.” Well written show.

“Could it be, that I hold in my hand… a lump of finest… green?!”
“More of a splat, really.”

3 Likes

The plot thickens:

FTA:

“RIO DE JANEIRO — Olympics officials on Saturday gave what they said was a definitive explanation why the water in two competition pools turned green this week. Someone, the officials said, mistakenly added 160 liters of hydrogen peroxide on Aug. 5, neutralizing the chlorine and allowing the growth of “organic compounds” that might have included algae.”

Crikey. I know zero about running a H2O2 pool. Nada, zip, zilch, null, wall to wall bugger all. I know it’s infinitely preferable to chlorine to swim in, as it is not a carcinogen but still definitely a biocide.

Those poor sods, the athletes. Their eyes were burning from a different oxidizer: H2O2 and not Cl.

2 Likes

Yeesh. The sodium hypochlorite with peroxide is a well known reaction. It basically makes table salt and oxygen, and a lot of heat. No wonder the algae was having a good time, they were neutralizing the disinfectant. I wonder how much peroxide was ultimately in the water though, if there’s algae it can’t have been much since it can kill algae, too.

3 Likes

Would they let Michael Phelps’ pool turn green?

Have they investigated the Irish swimming team yet?

1 Like

The Irish only do that on St Patricks Day.

1 Like

St. Paddy’s comes but once a year.

In China, luridly green water is just the gift that keeps… on… giving:

http://www.china.org.cn/english/news/214193.htm

In Qingdao, China:

Any U.S. citizen who wants to whine about that awful terrible bad ol’ U.S. Environmental Protection Agency needs to go to China first, attempt to drink their tap water, and hang out near any large body of water, outside. Bonus points if it’s a typical bad air pollution day:

7 Likes

I’ll be back k before you can say antidisestablishmentarianism.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.