How much pee is in your local swimming pool? Study finds out

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/02/how-much-pee-is-in-your-local.html

1 Like

We, as humans, have to confront our base biological nature: we leak and shed a lot of stuff out of our bodies.

10 Likes

Donald?
Is that you?

4 Likes

If my math is right, then that’s less than 1 part in 10,000 pee. Not quite as bad as I was expecting.

9 Likes

“When we go swimming and we complain that our eyes are red, it’s because swimmers have peed in the water,” Michele Hlavsa, chief of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s healthy swimming program, told TODAY in May. “The nitrogen in the urine combines with the chlorine and it forms what’s known as chloramine and it’s actually chloramine that causes the red eyes. It’s chlorine mixed with poop and sweat and a lot of other things we bring into the water with us.”

That’s a bit of sophistry, isn’t it? The most scrupulous non-uninators are still likely to perspire; ergo if one complains that one’s eyes are red, it could very well be because swimmers have been in the water.

But I suppose the acesulfame-K methodology makes some sense.

4 Likes

I’d like someone to measure around the swim-up bars, please

11 Likes

This study will result in one thing and one thing only.

More Urolagnists hanging out at public pools.Look for the next convention at your local YMCA.

4 Likes

You think that’s bad? Wait until you hear how many gallons are in the ocean. You’ll never want to swim in it again.

11 Likes

it Depends

2 Likes

This much:

That I’m aware of…

14 Likes

12 Likes

I never consume artificial sweeteners, so I’m good to go.

9 Likes

^^^ That’s terrible form right there. Unless they’re not swimming.

5 Likes

19 Likes

That sign used to crack me up as a kid, envisioning myself picking up a toilet seat only to find a miniature pool party in progress.

“Come in! The water’s great!”

6 Likes

What is the p-value on this data?

13 Likes

I don’t think the “red eyes equals urine” thing is accurate. We had, and I maintained, pools for years. When I over chlorinated the pool, I would get that reaction. And I am sure that nobody was peeing in our pool. I was pretty much the only one who ever used it. Just handling the chlorine pellets did the same thing. Perhaps they are making the assumption because some heavily used and abused pools are over chlorinated. Also, the primary reason for chlorination is to keep down the formation of algae. Maybe algae and other non-urine components in the water are the source of the chloramine reaction. We never used filtered or distilled water to top off the pool, and there was always runoff from plants and such.

2 Likes

FTFY  

6 Likes

I prefer the reverse, I like to leave everything except the L…

14 Likes

Oh man, I’ve just been guzzlin that stuff down. Time to cut back?

4 Likes