How much pee is in your local swimming pool? Study finds out

Right, less than one percent of one percent. But on the other hand, how many evildoers have to let loose to produce 8 gallons? If each piss half a cup, that’s more than 250 people taking the piss in the pool. Even if 500 people visit a medium traffic pool in a day, that’s half of them anonymously whizzing on the rest of us. Actually, that may be a viable model for human society :unamused:

Even if it takes 5 days for the urine to be filtered out or broken down by the chlorine, that’s still 10% of people, or 50 pissers.

1 Like

Lifts up small child from pool in mid-pee… looks… “This much.”

6 Likes

Community Pool = Human Soup

8 Likes

It’s necessary to prevent freezing.

Q: How do you get 80 Canadians out of a swimming pool?

A: Say, “Okay, everyone out of the pool”.

12 Likes

As a small child, I recall seeing a turd sitting at the bottom of the (now closed) McCarren Park Pool in Brooklyn. Very unsavory situation.

2 Likes

About 80 ppm? Isn’t that about the LD50 for sodium cyanide? Sure, it’s almost nothing.

3 Likes

That’s equal to half an ounce in a bathtub full of water, for those of you keeping score at home.

2 Likes

Did the study give any indication of how many people really didn’t want to be made aware of that?
:wink:

4 Likes

:worried:

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

7 Likes

Cant they just set up video cameras and estimate the pee volume based on the blue cloud size?

5 Likes

I would have guessed it was higher.

2 Likes

FTFY

3 Likes

Another scarier way of looking at it:

The large pool has the equivalent of 200 full-grown adults voiding their bladders.

3 Likes

The estimate is based on a determination of the average ACE in human urine in Tianjin, China. Perhaps it is quite different for the folks in Canada.

To be fair, I probably end up accidentally swallowing as much as pee as i leave behind. pee neutral footprint.

7 Likes

pools are gross, pee or no pee. the sea is for swimming in.

1 Like

That works out to somewhere between zero and 1000 gallons of water. Probably closer to zero

1 Like

You’re right. A healthier turd would have floated.

6 Likes

So the chemical they’ve chosen to use as a marker for the presence of urine is ALREADY present in tap water? Does that mean that the tap water they use to fill pools already has pee in it? Or do sewage treatment plants magically remove the urine and leave behind the ACE?

Just curious, I’m not really worried about swimming in pools.

2 Likes

7.92 gallons [1014oz] of urine in the smaller pool that had 110,000 gallons of water.

The normal adult bladder holds 14-20 ounces (call it 17). An 8 year old child has ~10 ounces.

So assuming these people are urinating when they hit a leisurely 75% bladder capacity (13oz and 8oz resp):

We’re talking about 78 barbarian adults (or 127 of their brood) who peed in that pool.

Having said that, for every gallon of pool water you’re in contact with, this is how much urine there is… 1 gallon of pool water has:
                   7.92gal/110000gal urine
              = 0.000072 gallons
              = 0.009 ounces
              = 5.5 drops of urine

2 Likes