Another Roku remote bites the dust

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/03/02/another-roku-remote-bites-the-dust.html

1 Like

Well, I think there’s one important question here.
Is Electra OK?!?!?!

9 Likes

Yup. Was a couple days back. No parts stuck in dog as yet. Redoubling efforts to put remote away after use.

13 Likes

When dog barks, does channel change?

14 Likes

not until subsequent moviefilm, borat.

6 Likes

My ONE issue with Roku is that they don’t have a remote that lights up (that I know of). I always end up pressing the wrong damn button in the dark.

2 Likes

I feel you have less of a Roku remote problem and more of an untrained dog problem.

3 Likes

Thankfully, despite having 3 puppers at home, none have developed a taste for electronics. One did gnaw on the housing of a thumb drive that was sticking out of a laptop, but since I replaced it with a Samsung solid aluminum drive, no further problems. Product idea: CNC aluminum remotes with a spring-loaded cover over the buttons. Somebody get on this.

3 Likes

At our house, a young Riley would grab any untended remote and chew the back cover and pull out the batteries. We had to store remotes in a box.

He only grew out of it this year. Our current remote still has duct tape on the back to hold in the batteries.

1 Like

Use the Roku app on your phone? It has a remote

We knew Riley had the cable remote (see above) because the TV would turn on and light classical music would play. I guess that’s the default channel for when a dog’s teeth mushes all the buttons.

1 Like

Isn’t that what the little cloth tag at the bottom is for?

Or is that on the side? I can’t remember now…

1 Like

Have you tried coating the remote in bittering agent? Nintendo coats their Switch cartridges with the stuff so animals and little kids won’t stick them in their mouths.

2 Likes

When the dog farts does it change to Fox News?

6 Likes

Either that or HSN.

1 Like

You might try Grannick’s Bitter Apple Spray.

Instead of the bitter spray, maybe try aluminum tape?

The texture might be enough of a change to make it less orally appealing?
That in conjunction with the bitter agent might work?

Next step, rub an old one all over with a habanero and wait to see reaction, then possibly use a touch of pepper on the new one. Just watch you don’t get yourself with that…

Final step would be get a metal casting made of the body of a new one and transfer the guts

Something about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

2 Likes

1 Like

My friend used clove oil to train his pup away from chewing cables (and everything else). It seems to have worked, and has the advantage of making your house smell nice.
Just wipe a small amount on anything you don’t want the dog to put in it’s mouth.