My dog loves to chew this cheap replacement Roku remote

Originally published at: My dog loves to chew this cheap replacement Roku remote | Boing Boing

1 Like

Keep the peanut butter off the remote, get back to me if this works.

5 Likes

FWIW, the remote app works really well in my experience. I sometimes use it to mess with the kids from the next room.

3 Likes

I use it all the time but for TV on it is useless.

2 Likes

Oh, right. I guess you’re using a box. Remember when TVs had buttons?

1 Like

Getting up to press an on off button requires a cane this week. Terrible gardening incident.

2 Likes

Yeesh. I’m going to assume you’re someplace warmer than here and didn’t injure yourself trying to dig in frozen ground. Hope you feel better soon.

1 Like

We got these to help deal with this issue after our dog chewed up our second Roku remote. Fortunately, buying a backup has relieved this curse and because we’re prepared for the event, it hasn’t happened again.

Motiexic Universal Remote Holders Compatible with All Roku Remote

1 Like

Potting a blueberry bush in a self-watering container. moving a few bags of soil around. Moved bad somewhere along the way.

2 Likes

Then no Triffids invasion? Oh darn…

1 Like

I had the same thing happen last summer, and bought what looks like the same remote from Amazon. The problem with that one, and the one in the picture, is that unlike the chewed-up genuine article, there are no buttons on the side to control or mute the sound. Suddenly, I was back in the world where I had to use two remotes to watch tv. Fortunately, a friend gave me the Roku brand remote from her system that had sound control and I could put the tv remote (volume controller) back in the drawer.

We thought it was just our dog. Our two year old brindle rescue loves to chew these remotes. We switched to the app but it has all kinds of connectivity problems so we went back to remotes. She has now chewed 6 of them over the past 6 months when we leave them in the wrong places. It is the ONLY thing she wants to chew on.

1 Like

Is it just/mostly the Roku remotes and barely any others?

What is it about them that dogs like? The materials, something about them being wifi, or something else? Anyone want to experiment and leave the batteries out if their remote and see how it fares with a dog?

Only remote she has touched is the Roku.

She also ate several Kindle e-reader jackets but the reader is OK.

5391421d3ba37

1 Like

Well, it was nice that the dog placed the remote back on the dresser after it finished chewing on it, at least.

1 Like

I was shocked. I think she figured out that I get mad when she takes it, so maybe if she put it back I wouldn’t get all yell-y.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.