Another shout out for the FryDaddy Electric Deep Fryer

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/02/another-shout-out-for-the-fryd.html

4 Likes

Every year I buy a bigger deep fryer and deep fry the old deep fryer (itself filled with previously deep fried deep fryers).

26 Likes

Quite the puzzle for future archeologists to ponder…

8 Likes

FryDaddy

Yep, I said FryDaddy!

4 Likes

Brussels sprout leaves

12 Likes

You are missing out. Even if you hate brussel sprouts. This way makes them delicious.

1 Like

Every time I see a deep fryer, I crave Cornballs.

17 Likes

If you don’t mind my saying so, there’s more than one web site on the internet where you can buy things.

2 Likes

It’s deep fryin’ all the way down… the American way!

9 Likes

So, what you’re saying is the only way to enjoy brussel sprouts is to make them as un-healthy as possible.

(I tend to agree. I hated my parent’s version of brussel sprouts (boiled or steamed -Yuck!) but absolutely love them now when fried in bacon grease and salted)

6 Likes

I did have flash-fried spinach leaves once and they were pretty nifty. But then I like raw spinach anyway, and cooked if it’s done right.

My main objection to brussels spouts leaves is that it seems dangerously likely to become the next kale. Let’s just hate one trendy vegetable at a time, okay?

2 Likes

I went looking for a FryMommy. Google never disappoints.

22 Likes

Well, thats just one way to enjoy them. I have always loved my “tiny cabbages” since I was a kid even when I wouldn’t eat other veggies.

3 Likes

Just picked an new, older Delonghi model for 50 cents at a yard sale. I had been on the lookout since your earlier post. Sweet potato fries turned out great. I wonder, do you strain and reuse the coconut oil?

2 Likes

Have had mine a few years now, and it’s incredible how well it works for the price. Have had some of the best tempura in my life come outta this. And late-night deep-friend Twinkies with raspberry/blackberry jam. Mmmm…I can almost taste my thyroid gland disintegrating in the waves of flavor right now.

1 Like

The dirty oil issue is what keeps me from frying more. I’ve fried some stuff, strained the oil through a cheesecloth then put it in the fridge. Inevitably after a couple of days, I dump the oil because who wants dirty oil in their fridge?

2 Likes

No way!

1. Cut brussels sprouts in half.
  2. Toss in olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, a little pepper, and a little sugar.
  3. Put on baking sheet cut-side-down and roast for 20-30 minutes until very dark and crispy.
  4. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
11 Likes

I’ve been using a high output propane burner together with a large stock pot holding 2 gallons of oil. It’s cleaner and it fries better than anything else I’ve tried. The higher volume of oil means it holds temp better, the high heat Flame means it gets hot faster. As I result my fried foods are less greasy, crispier, stay crisp longer, crisp better when reheated. And I can do much larger batches.

Also this for dealing with oil.

Works a trick. Though I’ve found it useful to use slightly more gelatin, and to make more of it over all for wide flat frying vessels.

4 Likes

This post is Billy the Beef Tallow Boy approved!

3 Likes

Dammit. Beat me to it.

1 Like