Anthony Edwards stars in 1985's 'Gotcha!'

Doesn’t beat a couple of students I knew who, while on vacation in Thailand, tried to locate the camp of Pol Pot in exile. They didn’t outright claim to be CIA, but they didn’t mind if the locals assumed they were.

4 Likes

real-genius-popcorn-o

7 Likes

4 or 5 DDM for 1 DEM?
Dude, you’ve been fleeced.

1 Like

Now I’m trying to figure out the etymology of this thing. “Campus sport?” I had this NES game as a kid and for some reason I thought there was some sort of invisible ink squirting toy guns at the time… an article online says this game was based on the movie. I’m all mixed up image

3 Likes

Ok I’m not nuts. The squirt guns did exist. But apparently came after this movie. image

7 Likes

“Well, other than the scenes”

I was referring to Miracle Mile holding up. Not this piece of trash cinema.

1 Like

Wut. Gotcha is awesome!

2 Likes

I felt like a chump after paying good money ($5? in 1986 dollars) to see that – until I ran into some other kids I knew, at the same movieplex, on their way out of trolley. They were kinda pissed.

1 Like

Could have written this verbatim about One, Two, Three, but it remains Billy Wilder’s best film:

2 Likes

Oh probably. I was just a teen, and probably an easy mark (pun not intended). That being said, the East Germans exchanging probably wanted to get hard currency to buy a pair of Levis or a Walkman from an Intershop (which sold Western goods to East Germans in exchange for hard currency so that the government could pay its debts), so who was I to deny them such simple pleasures?

1 Like

Real Genius was a good one, especially the popcorn scene, but sadly I didn’t have it on tape back then.

@Gyrofrog

Iron Eagle was awesome in its own right, but if for no other reason, the soundtrack included:

Queen - One Vision
The Spencer Davis Group - Gimme Some Lovin’
Twisted Sister - We’re Not Gonna Take It

3 Likes

3 Likes

I thought all the repeated viewings would make me good at the assasination/killer game in college. I was not good at all, and was eliminated the second day.

Good time to plug the Steve Jackson Games book:
http://www.sjgames.com/killer/

1 Like

For every Top Gun, there were 50 Gotchas.

I re-watched the The Last Dragon, and was reminded of this gem.

Also, did Kenny Loggins ever have a hit not tied to a movie?

2 Likes

I remember in the 80s playing “Killer” around our high school. Imagine a time when you could do something like that and not get expelled, arrested, or shot. Glory days.

2 Likes

Let’s let ̷K̷e̷n̷n̷y̷ ̷L̷o̷g̷g̷i̷n̷s̷ ̷h̷i̷m̷s̷e̷l̷f̷ Michael McDonald answer that question:

4 Likes

So no, not really?

1 Like

???

“This Is It” wasn’t attached to a movie and was a fairly big hit. There was also “Whenever I Call You Friend,” although as a duet with Stevie Nicks, I suppose one could argue that it wasn’t a “Kenny Loggins” hit.

It does seem that once he started getting soundtrack hits, he stopped having any other kind, although I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s something we’re forgetting.

2 Likes

I dunno, man. I guess it hit number 11, so that is a hit. And the Stevie Nicks duet went to 5. And maybe I am just a little too young, but none of those had the big hit impact as the three above.

2 Likes

They’re both basically before my time, too, but they were still playing them for years on whatever soft rock station my mother favored.

2 Likes