Anthony Edwards stars in 1985's 'Gotcha!'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/16/anthony-edwards-stars-in-1985.html

5 Likes

3 years later Edwards appeared with Mare Winningham in Miracle Mile. Wonderful film.

11 Likes

Just showed that recently to a new crowd. Great cold war film. Still holds up really well.

(and amazing Tangerine Dream soundtrack)

9 Likes

My first thought reading the headline was that Anthony Edwards died in a plane crash years ago (this in spite of my watching ER for a few seasons)… I had to double check to make sure he was still alive. Not sure if that says that Top Gun is really iconic, or if I am just really un-observant.

4 Likes

I remember that one!

Where Anthony Edward’s character is convinced by to go to East Berlin because it is such a touristy locale! I kept thinking even as an early teen, “does that make any kind of sense?”

7 Likes

It does if you are a movie college student and are gonna get laid…
Otherwise not so much. I haven’t seen this one in a long long time. I wonder how well it holds up.

7 Likes

I know (about) the film, but I can’t remember whether I’ve seen it or not.

4 Likes

Point well taken!

3 Likes

I think we saw this in German class at the end of the year.

Who knew like 5 years later I’d be huge into paintball.

ETA - Also, I kinda miss how every movie in the 80s had a self serving song made explicitly for it. Most of them were terrible.

2 Likes

The Gotcha song in the trailer isn’t as good as the one that appears in the actual movie:

Full of essential 80s synth and guitar riffs.

My childhood film habit was a rotation of Iron Eagle, The Goonies, The Explorers, and Gotcha VHS cassettes.

6 Likes

People will do incredibly stupid things. I know of one American college student who visited East Berlin not long before the wall went up trying to look like an East German fleeing. East Germans were not allowed into West Berlin, but the trams still went between East and West Berlin. The guy brought a suitcase and tried to look suspicious - actively trying to get the attention of the STASI. Really, really stupid and pointless. But he did it. Probably wouldn’t seem believable in a fictional story, though. It would take a long set up to establish why the character would do something so dumb to make it seem plausible.

5 Likes

East Berlin was really cheap for tourists though. Particularly if you avoided the official one-to-one Westmark-Ostmark conversion and traded at the typical 4 or 5 Ostmarks to a Westmark black market rate.

4 Likes

I was in college that year.

I didn’t have to go to East Berlin to get laid. East Village was walking distance.

3 Likes

Lies!

You’ll never say hello to you
Until you get it on the red line overload
You’ll never know what you can do
Until you get it up as high as you can go

6 Likes

Real Genius?

7 Likes

My housemates and I watched this a while back. Instead of risking alcohol poisoning by taking shots every time someone did or said something that simply would not work in the current culture, we just sighed, “Oh, those halcyon days of the Eighties…”

Fairly certain we got to at least 30 repetitions, and were chorusing rather well by the time the last dart found its mark, just before the end credits rolled…

3 Likes

In a word, “badly”. The film is extremely dated. Aside from the fact that East Germany doesn’t exist any more, a LOT of ‘shenanigans’ are nowadays either culturally unacceptable, outright illegal, or both.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Opening line:

I got my start in trolling people long before the internet was even a thing…

1 Like

Well, other than the scenes of the Gotcha players chasing each other around a college campus while brandishing realistic looking firearms. That definitely has not aged very well.

If you can look past some of the dated references and humor is quite an entertaining film with some really quotable lines.

When Anthony Edwards did an AMA on Reddit a few years back which was awesome to read. He was willing to take the piss and be a good sport throughout.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1gej14/hi_i_am_anthony_edwards_ama/

4 Likes